An easy way to wake up your test buds with a delicious Whole30 compliant chicken dish!
- 4 whole chicken legs (you could also substitute 6–8 chicken thighs)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (you may need a bit more, depends how thick you are coating the chicken)
- 3 Tablespoons ghee
- 2 Tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil (sub regular olive oil)
- 2 cup chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2–3 Tablespoons capers
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 lemons sliced (cut off ends)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup garlic confit (sub 6–8 raw garlic cloves, smashed)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Take large cast iron skillet and melt 2 Tablespoons of ghee on medium-high heat, swirling pan to coat.
- Add olive oil.
- Place arrowroot powder in medium bowl next to skillet.
- One at a time, take chicken legs and coat in arrowroot powder and then place in skillet.
- Repeat with all legs and let cook 4-5 minutes per side.
- (if using thighs, you may need to do this in batches)
- Remove chicken and set on plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- In same skillet, add 1 Tablespoon of ghee and let melt.
- Add shallots and stir until they reduce, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, capers, lemon slices, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Throw in a pinch of salt and then stir to combine.
- Nestle chicken in and place in the oven for 5 minutes at 450 and then reduce to 350, cooking for another 30-40 minutes.
- (if using thigh, it will only be another 20-30 minutes, or until fully cooked).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Taste and additional salt, as desired.
- Serve immediately with sauce.