Simple Baked Ham – an easy, simple recipe for your classic baked ham!
- (1) 6-8 pound, half of ham, bone-in, pre-cooked
- 1–2 cups apple juice or apple cider
- Allow your ham to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour apple juice (or apple cider) into the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the roasting rack inside the roasting pan and set the ham on top of that, cut-side down.
- Loosely tent or cover the ham with foil.
- Place in the oven, middle rack, and bake for 18-24 minutes per pound or until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Bring ham to room temp: If you forget to take out your ham from the oven you can still bake it according to this recipe, but the cooking time will be longer.
- Internal temp: the best way to track how close your ham is to being done use an internal meat thermometer to test the very center of your ham. Once it reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees F. it is done.
- Ham done too early: Sometimes, depending upon the thickness of your ham, it may get done early. If so, simply remove it from the oven, wrap it in foil and then wrap it again with a large kitchen towel and set it aside. Carve before serving.
- Ham temperature not rising fast enough: If you are getting close to time to eat and your ham temperature seems to have stalled, simply turn the temp up to 350 or even 375 for a little while to finish it off.
- Roasting pan: You can skip the roasting pan + apple cider and simply place your ham, cut-side down, on a roasting pan. You will still need to tent it with foil – otherwise you can follow the same instructions above.
Keywords: baked ham, how to cook a ham, how to bake a ham