Baked Salsa Chicken and Rice – a delicious and easy this baked salsa chicken recipe is packed with flavor and perfect for a busy weeknight!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 16oz jar chunky mild salsa
- 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Toppings: Cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring large braiser or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add olive oil, swirl to coat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; sear on both sides and then move to a plate.
- In the same pan, add onion and garlic. Move around pan until they soften, approx. 1 minute.
- Add green chiles, salsa, rice, broth, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, black beans and corn. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and nestle the chicken breasts on top.
- Cover and move to the oven, middle rack. Let cook 20-25 minutes or until rice and chicken are fully cooked (it’s okay if there is a little liquid left – it will get soaked up).
- Remove from oven and cover with cheese and serve with sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Dairy-Free: easily make this dairy-free by using a dairy-free cheese and sour cream option.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: baked salsa chicken