Green Bean Casserole with Bacon – a delicious and easy Thanksgiving or Holiday recipe that the whole family will love!
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and chopped (more for garnish)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 12 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (regular or dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or regular whole milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups french fried onions, divided (regular or a gluten-free version)
- Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blanch Green Beans: Fill a medium saucepan 3/4 full of water and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, take a large bowl and fill 3/4 of the way with water. Add ice to create an ice bath. Set aside. Add green beans to the simmering water. Let cook 2-4 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, carefully remove the green beans from the simmering water and place them directly into the ice bath. Let sit for 5 minutes or until fully cooled. Remove and place into a 9×13 baking pan.
- Cook Bacon: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add bacon and let cook, flipping occasionally until it is cooked, but not super crispy. Remove bacon and place on a small plate to cool. Cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Cook Mushrooms: Ensure the same pan the bacon was cooked in remains at medium/medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Move around pan until until the mushrooms have softened, approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon and place a small plate. Set aside.
- Make Sauce: Add butter to pan and let melt. Add flour and use a whisk to combine into a paste (aka a roux). Slowly add in the coconut milk and then the chicken broth, whisking the entire time and ensuring the mixture is hot enough to just barely simmer. Once thickened remove from heat and add back in the mushrooms and bacon. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt or pepper, as needed.
- Combine: Pour the mushroom/bacon mixture over the green beans and add approx. 1 cup of the french fried onions; stir to combine.
- Bake: Place in oven, middle rack and uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cover with remaining french fried onions and any extra bacon pieces. Return to oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Cook + Serve: Remove and let cool sightly before serving.
- Gluten-Free: to make this gluten-free use gluten-free flour and gluten-free french fried onions.
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free use a vegan butter and coconut milk.
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 264.6 mg
- Fat: 9.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 13.2 mg
Keywords: green bean casserole with bacon