Healthy Stuffed Zucchini Boats – the perfect way to use your summer zucchini! (Whole30/Dairy-Free)
- 4 large zucchini or 6 smaller zucchini
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- whole30 compliant marinara
- Fresh chopped basil, oregano and/or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Scoop out insides of zucchini with spoon, leaving 1/4 in the shell (you want the outer “shell” to be fairly thick so it doesn’t fall apart).
- Place insides into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Parboil shells 2-3 minutes or until they just start to soften (parboil = just place shells in boiling water for a very short period of time to partially cook them).
- Drain well and set on baking sheet.
- In skillet, cook Italian sausage and drain off any grease.
- While sausage is cooking, chop up insides of zucchini.
- Return sausage to heat and add onion and the chopped zucchini.
- Fry until zucchini is clear and then drain excess water.
- Return to heat once more and add salt, oregano and basil; stir to combine.
- Then add nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Stuff zucchini shells with Italian sausage mixture.
- Drizzle marinara on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh basil, oregano and/or parsley, if desired.
These keep really well in the refrigerator – just store in airtight container and they will keep for 3-5 days.
Keywords: stuffed zucchini boats