How to Cook Tofu – Learn how to cook tofu and use in all of your favorite recipes!
- 1 package of firm or extra-firm tofu
- kosher salt
- (optional) soy sauce
- Remove from package and wrap in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and then place your biggest cookbook or a cast iron skillet on top of it – this will help some of that water to be soaked up by the towel.
- Keep the tofu in the towel for 15-20 minutes or longer if you like.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and place your baking sheet inside to heat up.
- Cut up your tofu into 1×1 inch squares (about 1/2 inch thick)
- (Optional) you can toss the tofu in a couple tablespoons of soy sauce if you want.
- Sprinkle with some salt – this will also help draw out some of the moisture.
- Place your tofu squares on the pre-heated baking sheet and place back in the oven, middle rack.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway (see Notes below).
- Once you have reached the desired consistency, you can let it dry out even more by letting it sit out for a bit, or you can use it right away in whatever you are cooking up. Or you can serve it with a little soy sauce and enjoy the firm, nutty flavor of the cooked tofu!
- How long to cook: How long you need to have the tofu in the oven is directly related to a) how firm your tofu is starting out and b) how crispy you want it to get. If you are starting out with tofu that isn’t very firm and you are looking for a crispier result, then you probably need a good 20-25 minutes in the oven, flipping over half way through. On the other hand, if your tofu is actually pretty firm and you just want it to crisp up a little bit, then you honestly might not need more than 5-7 minutes. The key is to be an active participant here – take a bite of your tofu after you have wrapped it in a towel. Do you like it as is – gauge how far you need to go to get the right consistency. Then, put it in the oven for just 5 minutes and take it out and try another piece. The general rule is for most tofu, you will need to do 15-20 minutes, flipping in the middle.
Keywords: how to cook tofu, how to cook tofu in the oven, best way to cook tofu