Sausage Stuffing – a delicious spin on your classic stuffing with sausage, cherries, walnuts and apples! Perfect for any Holiday dinner!
- 1 large apple, diced (I used honeycrisp)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb ground seasoned pork sausage*
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup butter (or ghee)
- 14oz bread, cubed and dried (gluten-free works)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ¼ cup fresh sage, chopped
- Preheat the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Toss apples in lemon juice and set aside.
- Bring large Dutch Oven (big enough eventually fit all of the bread cubes) to medium-high heat. Add olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add onions and celery, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage and move around the pan, allowing the sausage to cook.
- Add broth, orange juice and melted butter.
- Stir in bread cubes, walnuts, cherries, apples and sage.
- Transfer to greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 25-35 minutes.
- Gluten-Free: feel free to use gluten-free bread.
- Dairy-Free: you can use plant-based butter instead of butter (you can also use ghee).
- Pork Sausage: you can also use plain ground pork and then add in the following seasonings: 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1-2 teaspoon dried sage, 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Dried Bread Cubes: you can buy these pre-made OR you can cut up your bread into cubes the night before making and set out on cookie sheets, uncovered on the counter. Let sit 24 hours or so and they will be good to go!
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 250.1 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.7 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 8.2 mg
Keywords: sausage stuffing