Apple Cider Turkey Brine – a simple, easy apple cider turkey brine recipe that will work with your favorite turkey recipes!
- 16 cups apple cider, divided
- 1 cup kosher salt
- ice cubes
- 1 apple, sliced
- 3–4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ice cubes
- Take 4 cups of apple cider and add to a medium sauce pan along with ALL of the salt.
- Bring a to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Continue simmering and stirring until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add ice cubes. It’s very important to fully cool down the water since we will be adding it to the rest of the water/submerging the turkey in it.
- While the salt mixture is cooling down, add turkey to your brining vessel along with the remaining water and other ingredients.
- Then pour the cooled salt/water mixture into the same brining vessel on top of the turkey.
- Stir to combine
- Refrigerate (covered) for 24 hours.
- Remove from brine (discard brine), rinse (optional), pat dry and cook as planned (we love this Smoked Spatchcock Turkey recipe).
- Additional Brine: if you need more liquid to fully cover your bird simply use the formula: 1/4 cup salt for every 4 cups apple cider added.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: do NOT use apple cider vinegar as a substitute for apple cider.
- Refrigerate: you have to refrigerate your turkey while it is brining.
Keywords: apple cider turkey brine