Braised Lamb Shoulder + Mint Gremolata – a delicious, flavorful way to serve your lamb shoulder! Perfect for a Holiday meal!
- Braised Lamb Shoulder:
- 2 lamb shoulders (approx. 3/4 lb each)
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon + 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 Tablespoons red wine
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 whole head of garlic, remove cloves and slice them in half
- Mint Gremolata:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Teaspoon crushed rosemary
- pinch of salt
- 2–3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 6–8 russet potatoes, diced and boiled until soft
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk (almond milk works perfectly – I would just recommend you use unsweetened/original)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 3–4 Teaspoons Better than Bouillon Roasted Garlic Base
Braised Lamb Shoulder:
- In small bowl, combine kosher salt, fennel seed and ground black pepper.
- Rub this combination all over lamb shoulder (you can wrap in plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes if you desire)
- In small cast iron casserole, add 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil and bring to medium heat.
- Sear lamb shoulders on all sides and then remove from pot, setting aside.
- In same pot, add 1/4 cup vegetable oil and onions.
- Let onions reduce, about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato puree, beef broth, red wine, rosemary, celery and garlic cloves; mix well.
- Add lamb shoulder back into the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and place in the oven on the middle rack.
- Braise at 275 for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove from oven.
- Serve braising liquid, particularly the garlic, over the lamb shoulder.
- (feel free to strain the braising liquid, serving the garlic on top of the lamb shoulder, and then adding a slurry or roux to the remaining liquid to make a gravy).
- Combine mint, lemon zest, rosemary and olive oil.
- Stir and serve immediately.
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- Combine boiled potatoes, butter, milk, salt and Better than Bouillon Roasted Garlic Base.
- Whip together with hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
Keywords: braised lamb shoulder