Chunky Tomato Sauce + Noodles – an delicious, flavorful dinner idea and perfect for using those late-summer tomatoes!
- 3–4 1bs of tomatoes [go to the store or your garden and find as many different kinds of tomatoes as you can and make sure you have 3 lbs in total. There isn’t a wrong way to do this, I swear! Get about 1/2 lb of Romas, a carton full of cherry tomatoes, some heirlooms if you can, yellow if you can and the rest can be on-the-vine tomatoes. The more colorful the better your sauce will taste.]
- 1 small white onion, chunked.
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sweet basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh italian basil leaves , roughly chopped
- [Note: if you can’t find both sweet and italian basil, just make sure you have 4 Tablespoons total of some sort of fresh basil]
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Clean tomatoes and cut into large chunks and place in dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Roast, uncovered, in oven for approx. 2 hours or until mixture has reduced by about half.
- Check every half hour and stir to ensure tomatoes don’t char.
- Serve immediately with fresh parmesan cheese and noodles of your choice [I would recommend linguine or plain ole spaghetti noodles].