Ultimate French Toast Bake – The perfect thing to wake up to on Christmas morning!
- 16oz loaf of French bread (approx. 1 pound) (gluten-free works)**
- 8–10 eggs (the larger the loaf, the more eggs needed)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (or ghee or vegan butter)
- 8 oz cream cheese (or dairy free cream cheese), cubed
- 1 pint blackberries (or raspberries)
- Spray 9×13 baking dish with olive oil or nonstick of choice.
- Tear up bread into large chunks, placing them in the pan and spreading them out evenly, they should fill up the entire casserole dish.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and then add almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture evenly over bread chunks.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator ; let sit overnight.*
- Before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Evenly distribute blackberries and cream cheese on top.
- Pour melted butter evenly over the top.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes (middle rack and uncovered), or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with real maple syrup (feel free to add a little powdered sugar on top if you want).
- *Overnight: You can still make this without letting it sit overnight, but the longer you let it sit (up to 12 hours) the better it will turn out. That being said, I have made this multiple times with only letting it sit 5 minutes and it will still turn out!
- ** Types of Bread: feel free to swap out french bread for brioche, challah, etc. This is such a flexible recipe!
- Dairy-Free: use a plant butter and either use dairy-free cream cheese or just omit.
- Gluten-Free: use a gluten-free french bread loaf.
- Storage: store any leftovers (if you have any!) in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: french toast bake, overnight french toast casserole, baked french toast