Overnight French Toast Casserole – exactly what I will be waking up to on Christmas morning! (Dairy-Free Friendly)
It’s almost Christmas, you guys!!! So close! I know we are all thinking about and planning what we will be eating come Christmas morning (because it is all about the food – duh) – this Dairy Free Blackberry French Toast Bake is a must-make!
Overnight French Toast Casserole
We have so many Christmas traditions in our family and I love each and every one of them, but today I am sharing with you a very special Christmas morning tradition that we have with my Dad and my Step-Mom – this is the recipe for the french toast bake we have every Christmas morning with them! My Step-Mom makes it and we eat it right after we open stockings, but before we open presents! It is ridiculously easy to make, always turns out and is perfectly indulgent.
It is the magic combo of the French toast, blackberries (sub raspberries, which is how we typically have it) and cream cheese (feel free to use real cream cheese or dairy-free!) – if you get a bite with all of those in it PLUS some real maple syrup – it is just so amazing.
Overnight French Toast Casserole Toppings
We use raspberries and cream cheese, but feel free to get creative! Pictured I used blackberries, which is also amazing! You could probably use most fruit and it would work out just fine. Or you could skip the fruit and just have a plain overnight French toast bake! Do what works best for you!
Can I Make this Dairy-Free
Yes! Just use vegan butter instead of regular butter and use dairy-free cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese!
What is the best kind of bread to use
I used a large loaf of French Bread and really, the higher quality the better! If you have a little bakery around the corner, go snag some French bread from them! This recipe will just taste that much better!
Maybe serve with some Extra Creamy Dairy Free Hot Chocolate?
Here’s the before:
And the after…..
Other recipes you might like:
Easy Overnight French Toast Casserole – The perfect thing to wake up to on Christmas morning!
- 1 extra large loaf of French bread (should be about 2ft long – approximately)
- 8–10 eggs (the larger the loaf, the more eggs needed)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted (or butter or vegan butter)
- 8 oz cream cheese (or dairy free cream cheese)
- 1 pint blackberries (or raspberries)
- Spray 9×13 pan with olive oil or ghee.
- Tear up bread into large chunks, placing them in the pan and spreading them out evenly, they should fill up the entire casserole dish.
- In medium bowl, whisk together eggs and then add almond milk and maple syrup.
- Pour mixture over bread chunks.
- Let sit overnight, covered and placed in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 375.
- Evenly distribute blackberries and cream cheese on top.
- Pour melted ghee over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with real maple syrup.
- You can still make this without letting it sit overnight, but the longer you let it sit (up to 12 hours) the better it will turn out. That being said, I have made this multiple times with only letting it sit 30-60 minutes and it will still turn out.
Keywords: overnight French toast casserole