Cooked in ghee and fresh lemon juice, these scallops are savory and delicious! (Whole30/Paleo)
- 8–10 large sea scallops
- the zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3–4 Tablespoons ghee
- Bring a large cast iron skillet to high heat
- Add just enough ghee to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Pat Scallops dry (ensure they are as dry as possible!) and sprinkle with salt.
- Put salt side down in hot pan to sear.
- Sprinkle salt on other side of scallops.
- Let sear for 1 minute and then reduce heat to medium/medium-high and add enough ghee to ensure the bottom doesn’t dry out (at least 1 Tablespoon).
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the lemon zest, add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1 Tablespoon chives.
- Cook for 3 minutes on medium and then flip, pushing some ghee under each scallop as you flip to ensure they don’t stick to the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minute on this side or until fully cooked (they are cooked when the tops start to crack).
- After you flip, add the other Tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add additional ghee, as needed, to ensure the bottom of the pan stays nicely coated.
- Once fully cooked, plate and sprinkle with other half of lemon zest, the rest of the chives and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
(Optional: If you want a bit of a sauce to pour over, leave any residue in the pan and add an additional Tablespoon or two of ghee, another Tablespoon or two of lemon juice and a swirl of olive oil together and mix together. Pour over scallops.)
Keywords: lemon butter scallops, scallops, healthy scallop recipes