Gluten Free Sugar Cookies – a tried and true gluten free sugar cookie recipe that is perfect for Holiday cut out cookies!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup 1-to-1 gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream softened butter and cane sugar using either a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add beaten egg and almond milk and beat again until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, baking soda and ground nutmeg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients slowly stirring by hand to combine until it has reached a dough consistency.
- Form into a ball and then flatten slightly into a disk shape. Wrap in wax paper and store in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small batches, roll out dough to an 1/8-1/4 inch and cut out into whatever shape you would like (I like to roll it out with a piece of wax paper on top, but you don’t have to). Place cookies on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes, middle rack (the bottom should be light brown when done).
- Remove and let cool before frosting.
- Easily Double: I wanted to make a smaller batch recipe, but you can easily double this for a bigger batch and it turns out the same!
- Storing the dough: as the recipe card states, you will need to refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight), but you can keep the dough in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months before baking.
- Storing the baked cookies: once the cookies have cooled completely you can store them at room temperature for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 3-4 weeks. If you freeze them, make sure you place parchment paper between them if they are stacked on top of each other.
- Decorating: feel free to decorate them any way you want, we love this dairy free frosting!!
Keywords: gluten free sugar cookies