These Healthy Fish Nuggets are so easy to make, kid-friendly and absolutely delicious!
- 16oz cod fish
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almondmilk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Prepare parchment-lined baking sheet; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl add egg and whisk. Add almond milk and stir to combine.
- In another shallow bow add almond flour, Old Bay seasoning, tapioca starch and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Taking fish one at a time, place them in the egg wash to full coat and then lift, allowing excess to fall off.
- Then place fish in the almond flour mixture, allowing it to become fully coated.
- Place on parchment paper and continue until all of the fish are fully coated.
- Bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove and flip over. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and and let sit for 2 minutes to cool slightly.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tartar sauce (I like this homemade version).
- Type of fish to use: I specifically said to use Cod, but any flaky white fish should work just fine.
- Dry your fish before use: you really need to make sure your fish is nice and dry before use. If the almond meal doesn’t stick it is because the fish wasn’t dry enough.
- Frozen Fish: if is okay to use frozen fish BUT you need to ensure they are fully thawed before using and they are dried out with paper towel. In my experience, frozen fish seem to retain more water and it is harder to get them fully dry. If the fish is too wet the almond flour won’t stick to them as well during the baking process.
- Oat Flour: You can use something like oat flour in place of almond flour, just be aware that it will no longer be Whole30/Paleo if that is something you are worried about. If you want it to be gluten-free just make sure your oats are certified gluten-free.
- Tartar Sauce: I highly recommend serving with your favorite tartar sauce! Here is my paleo/Whole30 homemade version!
Keywords: fish nuggets