Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Brine a Turkey using an Herb-Citrus method.
- *This recipe is for a 18-22 lb turkey. For an approximately 10 pound turkey, simply cut in half.
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 28 cups water
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 8 sage leaves
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- peel of one orange
- peel of one lemon
- Place 6 cups of water, salt and all other ingredients in saucepan.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring to allow salt to fully dissolve.
- Remove from heat and let water cool down to room temperature.
- Place turkey in brining bag and cover with salt mixture.
- Add remaining water.
- Turkey should be fully submerged – use a plate to weigh down if you need to.
- If additional water is needed, add 1 cup water and 1 Tablespoon salt until fully submerged.
- Let sit at least 12 hours, 24 preferred.
- Remove from brine, rinse and discard brining liquid.
- Roast according to your favorite recipe.