A light and fluffy dessert with swirls of peanut butter and chocolate, sprinkled with sea salt, and an inside that is pillow-soft!
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- peanut butter chips (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- chocolate baking chips (about 1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Prep two cookie sheets covered with parchment.
- In stand mixer, add egg whites and pinch of cream of tartar.
- Beat on high for approximately 1 minute; whites will become very frothy and start to rise.
- Keep motor running and gradually add granulated sugar and then continue beating for approximately 5 minutes.
- Continue to keep the motor running and gradually add powdered sugar; continue beating for 8-10 minutes or until very stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy-looking.
- (while you just let the mixer go for 8 minutes, melt your peanut butter and chocolate chips, separately. You want them melted, but not over hot).
- Move egg white mixture to medium mixing bowl.
- Take large spoon or slightly rounded spatula and slowly and gently make a circular motion around the egg whites.
- Take large rounded scoops and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- One at a time, add about a pea-size drop of chocolate or peanut butter and swirl with a toothpick.
- Or just “scoop” or swirl up a little of either the peanut butter or chocolate with the toothpick and just play with it – make swirls and designs.
- Repeat with all of the meringues.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Place in the oven and drop the temperature down to 200.
- Let bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Meringues should be firm to the touch and soft on the inside.
- Let cool slowly – just leave them on the cookie sheet for a bit.
- Then remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in airtight container for approximately 2-3 days.