Peanut Butter and Chocolate Meringues + Sea Salt – a light and fluffy dessert with swirls of peanut butter and chocolate, sprinkled with sea salt, and an inside that is pillow-soft!
Peanut butter and chocolate. Swirled together in a beautiful cloud of whipped egg whites and sugar. Topped with sea salt. When you bite into them, the sweet and firm outside breaks away to reveal the softest and lightest inside, almost like marshmallow, that simply melts in your mouth.
Whoa. Kinda feel like I am writing the beginning of a Danielle Steele novel…. for food (wait. is that a thing?).
But seriously, these things are freakin amazing. And they better be, because it took me SEVERAL attempts to get this recipe just right. The first attempt possibly being my worst cooking failure in the open era (whatever that actually means – just go with it).
I was bound and determined to add peanut butter to these d*mn meringues. Little did I know…. that is difficult to do since the meringues are quite fragile and peanut butter is, well, hefty. Not only did I literally try and combine regular, everyday peanut butter into my meringues (which essentially crushed the air I had spent so much time whipping into the egg whites) that they were too weighed down. Then, I decided to put them int the oven at 350. The entire cookie sheet turned into one big, melted and crushed meringue.
The second try was better, I went with peanut butter chips and melted them and added some to the actual meringue mixture as well as some drizzle on top. They turned out, but they weren’t all that pretty to look at. They were … choppy. Not smooth and glossy like these.
This was my third (and I swore up and down, final) attempt. Thankfully, the meringues turned out perfectly. They were glossy and stiff – swirling in the chocolate and peanut butter was seriously fun; let your creative juices flow..
I am thinking these would be good for Easter, Christmas…. a random Tuesday….. whatever strikes your fancy. They are absolutely delicious and I hope you guys make some! I want to see your swirl art!
Other Recipes You Might Like
I am obsessed with these right now!Print
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Meringues + Sea Salt – A light and fluffy dessert with swirls of peanut butter and chocolate, sprinkled with sea salt, and an inside that is pillow-soft!
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- peanut butter chips (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
- chocolate baking chips (about 1/4 – 1/2 cup)
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Prep two cookie sheets covered with parchment.
- In stand mixer, add egg whites and pinch of cream of tartar.
- Beat on high for approximately 1 minute; whites will become very frothy and start to rise.
- Keep motor running and gradually add granulated sugar and then continue beating for approximately 5 minutes.
- Continue to keep the motor running and gradually add powdered sugar; continue beating for 8-10 minutes or until very stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy-looking.
- (while you just let the mixer go for 8 minutes, melt your peanut butter and chocolate chips, separately. You want them melted, but not over hot).
- Move egg white mixture to medium mixing bowl.
- Take large spoon or slightly rounded spatula and slowly and gently make a circular motion around the egg whites.
- Take large rounded scoops and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- One at a time, add about a pea-size drop of chocolate or peanut butter and swirl with a toothpick.
- Or just “scoop” or swirl up a little of either the peanut butter or chocolate with the toothpick and just play with it – make swirls and designs.
- Repeat with all of the meringues.
- Sprinkle with some sea salt.
- Place in the oven and drop the temperature down to 200.
- Let bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Meringues should be firm to the touch and soft on the inside.
- Let cool slowly – just leave them on the cookie sheet for a bit.
- Then remove and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Store in airtight container for approximately 2-3 days.