Spicy Purple Cabbage Coleslaw – My go-to coleslaw recipe that is ALWAYS a hit!
- 1/3 green cabbage, cut into thin slices and halved
- 1/2 purple cabbage, cut into thin slices and then halved
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, diced (optional – this really amps up the spiciness)
- 1–2 cups cilantro, chopped, loosely packed
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mayo, use Whole30/Paleo mayo as desired
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, omit if making Whole30 and use coconut sugar if Paleo
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, use more or less if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, regular paprika works just fine
- In one large bowl, combine green and purple cabbage, green pepper, onion. jalapeño, and anaheim pepper.
- In separate smaller bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, sugar, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and then whisk.
- Add sauce to bowl of cabbage.
- Add a pinch of kosher salt.
- Toss until sauce is spread evenly throughout.
- Can be served immediately or refridgerated. Would recommend putting in fridge for at least an hour.
- Add cilantro immediately before serving and toss again.
- Whole30/Paleo Mayo: here is a homemade Whole30/Paleo mayo, but feel free to use store-bought as well
- Cilantro: Add your cilantro right before serving so it is nice and fresh!
- Storage: Feel free to store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days (then it tends to get a little too soft).
- Purple Cabbage: Feel free to use all purple cabbage if you want!
- Spice Level: If you want a little spice, but not too much then I would suggest omitting the jalapeño. The Anaheim pepper really doesn’t give much spice, but the cayenne pepper will!
- Sugar: Omit the sugar for Whole30 and use coconut sugar as a substitute for Paleo.
- Smoked Paprika: I know people can’t always find smoked paprika, regular paprika works just as well!
Keywords: purple cabbage coleslaw, spicy coleslaw