The perfect dessert for spring or summer!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Just less than 1/4 cup ground flax meal (if you don’t have this then just replace it with more flour)
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- pinch of salt
- 2 Teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- extra sugar to sprinkle on top of egg wash
- 1/2 pound strawberries, halved
- 2 stalks of rhubarb, peeled and halved (Depending on how big they are)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Combine dry dough ingredients and mix well.
- Option 1: use a food processor to combine dry ingredients and butter. Pulse to allow butter to break down and start creating little balls. Then remove and knead with your hands, rubbing the butter between your fingers to break down.
- Option 2: you can simply just mix it all together with your hands until it is fully combined.
- Set dough in fridge at 1-2 hours or overnight.
- If you are short on time, you can set in freezer for about 10 minutes and then the fridge for another 10.
- Combine Filling ingredients and mix together.
- Once dough is fully cooled, roll it out into as large of a circle as you can, without sacrificing the strength of the bottom. It should be roughly the size of a pizza pan.
- To add the filling, you can either make a pattern as is shown in the post, or you can simply dump all of the filling ingredients in the middle of the crust.
- Bring in the sides of the dough to cover the filling, to the extent you can – feel free to trip it if need be..
- Crack egg in small bowl and whisk, brush the sides of the crust with the egg and then sprinkle with a generous amount of sugar.
- Place galette on cookie with lines with parchment or simply spray the cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream.