Strawberry Rhubarb Galette + Vanilla Bean Ice Cream – the perfect dessert for spring or summer!
Ah, rhubarb season. It is officially upon us. Growing up, we always had rhubarb growing in our garden so I am quite familiar with its tart, yet addicting, flavor. Half of the time we would simply peel the outside off, sprinkle some salt on top of the end and take a bite. It is sooo good. Now that, to me, is summer. Just sitting outside, chomping on a raw piece of rhubarb with salt 🙂 When we weren’t eating it raw, my mom was putting it in jam, bread, muffins and pie. Her strawberry rhubarb pie is what inspired this recipe for this Strawberry Rhubarb Galette + Vanilla Bean Ice Cream – and I am so excited to share it with you guys!
Now, one thing I want you guys to remember when you read the recipe is to note the two different ways of putting the filling inside. After mixing the filling, I pulled out the strawberries and rhubarb and placed them in this design. You can totally do that if you want, but you do not have to. I think it would have looked just as awesome if I had piled all of the filling inside and then pulled the crust over it as much as I could. But it is totally up to you guys.
In totally Wooden Skillet fashion, I made the crust out of whole wheat flour and ground flax meal – I had to. I couldn’t even stop myself – and hey – it turned out awesome!
This would be the perfect dessert for Mother’s Day or really any day in the spring or summer…. or possibly even breakfast? No, just me.
If you are looking for other fun desserts and/or chocolate is more your thing, check out the Double Chocolate Zucchini Brownies!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
The perfect dessert for spring or summer!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Just less than 1/4 cup ground flax meal (if you don’t have this then just replace it with more flour)
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- pinch of salt
- 2 Teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- extra sugar to sprinkle on top of egg wash
- 1/2 pound strawberries, halved
- 2 stalks of rhubarb, peeled and halved (Depending on how big they are)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Combine dry dough ingredients and mix well.
- Option 1: use a food processor to combine dry ingredients and butter. Pulse to allow butter to break down and start creating little balls. Then remove and knead with your hands, rubbing the butter between your fingers to break down.
- Option 2: you can simply just mix it all together with your hands until it is fully combined.
- Set dough in fridge at 1-2 hours or overnight.
- If you are short on time, you can set in freezer for about 10 minutes and then the fridge for another 10.
- Combine Filling ingredients and mix together.
- Once dough is fully cooled, roll it out into as large of a circle as you can, without sacrificing the strength of the bottom. It should be roughly the size of a pizza pan.
- To add the filling, you can either make a pattern as is shown in the post, or you can simply dump all of the filling ingredients in the middle of the crust.
- Bring in the sides of the dough to cover the filling, to the extent you can – feel free to trip it if need be..
- Crack egg in small bowl and whisk, brush the sides of the crust with the egg and then sprinkle with a generous amount of sugar.
- Place galette on cookie with lines with parchment or simply spray the cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately with vanilla bean ice cream.