A savory and delicious seafood chowder that is Whole30-friendly, dairy-free and SO delicious! Perfect for a special occasion, holiday, date night or Valentine’s Day!
- 4 cups seafood stock
- 2-3 small lobster tails
- 1-2 clusters of crab legs
- 1/2 lb large shrimp/prawns (use up to a pound, depending upon how chunky you want it)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 Tablespoons ghee, divided (vegan butter or coconut oil work as well)
- 2 Tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, blended
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- In large sauce pan bring seafood stock to a simmer.
- Add lobster tails, prawns and crab legs (break up crab legs to they fit).
- Cover and let simmer approx. 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully remove seafood and place on plate or cookie tray to allow them to cool.
- Pour broth through cheesecloth to remove any of the “seafood grit.”
- Place strained broth back in saucepan, but do not place on heat.
- Once seafood is cool enough, remove meat from shells and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside broth and seafood.
- In another large saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons ghee.
- Add garlic and sauté on medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add celery and onion and sauté until onion reduces, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and another Tablespoon of ghee.
- Continually stir on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, allowing potatoes to cook slightly.
- Add the last Tablespoon of ghee and allow it to melt.
- Add arrowroot powder and mix to allow it to coat ingredients.
- Slowly add seafood broth, stirring after every pour and scraping any bits off the bottom.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring fairly continuously.
- Then add can of coconut milk, stir.
- Add seafood back into soup, along with salt and pepper.
- Stir and then taste – add additional salt or pepper as desired.
You can really use any seafood you want – you could use bay scallops, fish, etc.