This healthy bolognese sauce is Whole30, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free and Paleo!! The perfect way to use your fresh summer tomatoes!
- 3oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 or 85/15)
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1–2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, smashed
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 3oz can tomato paste
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (you will only use about half so if you can find a 7-8oz can of sauce that would be perfect – I can never seem to find one)
- zucchini noodles (as much or as little as you want)
- ghee or olive oil (using olive oil will make this completely dairy-free)
- In dutch oven, add olive oil and garlic.
- Stirring constantly, allow garlic to start to cook or until it start to smell,
- Add pancetta and let fat render,
- Add onion, celery and carrots.
- Stir and let onions cook down until almost transparent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add beef and pork and ensure pot is over med/med-high heat.
- Stir until meat is fully cooked.
- You may pour out some grease, but ensure there is about 1/4 – 1/2 cup left in the pan.
- Add whole tomatoes and cut into quarters in the pan.
- Add 1/2 the can of tomato sauce and the tomato paste.
- Add basil and oregano.
- Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Taste and add additional basil and/or oregano to taste as well as salt.
- Add mushrooms and stir.
- Let simmer on low at least an additional 10 minutes or longer.
- To took the zucchini noodles, take a large skillet and add a drizzle of olive oil or a little scoop of ghee.
- Add zucchini noodles and stir on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve sauce over zucchini noodles.
- Garnish with fresh basil or oregano.
Keywords: bolognese, spaghetti