Whole30 Mushroom Bolognese Sauce – a quick, easy and hearty summer sauce served over zucchini noodles. (Paleo + Whole30 + Dairy-Free + Gluten-Free)
This sauce. Tomatoes are in season. Zucchini is in season. It is the perfect time to make this sauce and whether you are on Whole30 or not, it is freakin delicious and bursting with flavor! You need to try this!
Is this Whole30 Bolognese Recipe Dairy-Free?
Yes!! This bolognese recipe is dairy-free, Whole30 compliant, Paleo and gluten-free!!
Is this like a Whole30 Spaghetti Sauce?
Yes! A bolognese sauce is essentially a meat-sauce, very similar to a marinara or other spaghetti sauce!!
Why so many Whole30 recipes …..
Whole30. I know, I know…. I have been putting off my Whole30 post for a while now – it happening this weekend and I am looking forward to putting my experience with it into words.
For now, just know that I did Whole30 during the month of May and I LOVED it. It’s not how I want to eat all the time, because hellllooo – a girl needs her sushi and pasta and bread….. but it changed the way I ate. I still make brownies and pasta, but I think I am more deliberate about when I eat them and I enjoy them that much more when I do. I also know how good I can feel when I eat a certain way and I have made a lot of permanent changes because of that.
My husband is now doing a Whole30
My husband is now currently in the midst of his first Whole30, so I have been trying to come up with new and fun recipes to make for him – this is one of them ?
He had never had zucchini noodles before and I don’t think he actually new what bolognese sauce was prior to eating this…. so when I set the bowl down in front of him, anxiously awaiting for him to try it, he wasn’t over-the-moon excited. He took a couple bites in silence…. I was beginning to assume that he hated it….. nope, he was just too busy to say anything because he was already on Amazon Prime ordering a spiralizer ? Yup, we are now the proud owners of a spiralizer.
And he inhaled his bowl of food! Needless to say, it was a success.
My Favorite part of this Whole30 Bolognese
My favorite part of the recipe is the different proteins involved, all lending their own flavor; the fresh basil and oregano; and the mushrooms…. I love mushrooms. It is chunky and filling – and the flavor!
So go pick some fresh basil out of your garden and try this delicious sauce!!! And also, please let me know your favorite thing to spiralize! I need some inspiration!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!Print
This healthy bolognese sauce is Whole30, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free and Paleo!! The perfect way to use your fresh summer tomatoes!
- 3oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 or 85/15)
- 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1–2 cups small mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, smashed
- 1 Teaspoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 3oz can tomato paste
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (you will only use about half so if you can find a 7-8oz can of sauce that would be perfect – I can never seem to find one)
- zucchini noodles (as much or as little as you want)
- ghee or olive oil (using olive oil will make this completely dairy-free)
- In dutch oven, add olive oil and garlic.
- Stirring constantly, allow garlic to start to cook or until it start to smell,
- Add pancetta and let fat render,
- Add onion, celery and carrots.
- Stir and let onions cook down until almost transparent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add beef and pork and ensure pot is over med/med-high heat.
- Stir until meat is fully cooked.
- You may pour out some grease, but ensure there is about 1/4 – 1/2 cup left in the pan.
- Add whole tomatoes and cut into quarters in the pan.
- Add 1/2 the can of tomato sauce and the tomato paste.
- Add basil and oregano.
- Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Taste and add additional basil and/or oregano to taste as well as salt.
- Add mushrooms and stir.
- Let simmer on low at least an additional 10 minutes or longer.
- To took the zucchini noodles, take a large skillet and add a drizzle of olive oil or a little scoop of ghee.
- Add zucchini noodles and stir on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve sauce over zucchini noodles.
- Garnish with fresh basil or oregano.
Keywords: bolognese, spaghetti