- 3 cans pork and beans
- 7–9 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 small/medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (I would recommend a smoky-flavored one)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 Teaspoon smoked garlic powder
- In skillet, cook bacon in batches, cooking until some fat has rendered and bacon is partially cooked.
- Remove bacon and let rest on plate.
- Keep grease in pan, unless there are excessive amounts. If there is a ton of grease, pour some out, but keep 2-4 Tablespoons in the pan.
- Add garlic, onion and green pepper to the pan.
- Saute in grease on medium-high, stirring, until cooked down and onion becomes translucent.
- Take 3 slices of bacon and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- In Dutch oven or other oven-proof pan, combine beans, onion mixture, bacon chunks and remaining ingredients.
- Place remaining bacon on top of beans and place in the oven.
- Cook at 325 for 2-3 hours.
- If you want a more charred look and/or less runny beans, increase temp to 350-375 for last 20-30 minutes.