A classic, easy braised short rib recipe!
- 1 lb short ribs (English cut)
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned is fine)
- 1 and 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon smoked paprika (or more to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon roughly chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 Teaspoon rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Combine salt, pepper and fennel in small bowl.
- Rub salt/pepper/fennel mixture all over short ribs (optional: wrap in plastic wrap and let sit for an hour or more)
- Add grapeseed oil to dutch oven on med-high heat.
- Sear short ribs on all sides
- Remove short ribs and place on plate.
- In same dutch oven, add celery, carrots, shallots, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beef broth, red wine, garlic, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, fresh basil, and rosemary. Stir to ensure any bits of short rib stuck to the bottom come loose.
- Preheat oven to 250
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes to let reduce.
- Add short ribs back into dutch oven with braising liquid.
- Place in oven and let cook for 1.5 – 2 hours or until fully cooked.
- Serve immediately and cover with braising liquid.