These rich and creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes can be made in only 20 minutes and with only 5 real, simple ingredients! Perfect for a easy weeknight dinner or serve with a classic turkey gravy on your holiday dinner table!
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
These easy mashed potatoes are simple enough to enjoy on a busy weeknight with pork chops and garlic green beans, for Sunday supper with a whole roasted chicken and steamed asparagus, or dress them up to serve with your roast turkey on Thanksgiving Day. It is one of our family’s favorite side dishes – especially in these cooler months! We love them and the kids love them. They pair well with so many meals and are super quick and easy to throw together!
Looking to add even more flavor!? You have to try our Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Family friendly – mashed potatoes are loved by adults and kids alike. Nothing better than foods the whole family enjoys.
- Real ingredients – these mashed potatoes are made with just 5 real ingredients!
- Smooth – the texture of these potatoes is so silky smooth, especially if you whip them up with a hand mixer.
What You Will Need
- russet potatoes – we love the classic flavor of russet potatoes but you can easily use any of your favorite potato varieties.
- water – just enough to barely cover the potatoes to help with the cooking process.
- ghee – option to use ghee, butter, plant-based butter, whatever works best for you!
- coconut milk – we love using our favorite coconut milk to keep it dairy-free, but you can also use regular milk or unsweetened almond milk.
- kosher salt – a classic simple seasoning that is always a good idea!
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Peel the potatoes (if you choose to peel them) and use a large kitchen knife and cutting board to cut them into large chunks. Place those chunks in the Instant Pot with just enough water to cover them.
Secure the lid on top and cook on the high pressure setting for 9 minutes.
Drain the cooked potatoes with a colander in the kitchen sink and then place them back in the Instant Pot.
Next, add ghee (or butter), coconut milk, and kosher salt to the pot.
Use a hand mixer to whip the potatoes to your desired consistency. If you do not have a hand mixer, you can also use a wire potato masher or use a stand mixer.
Enjoy right away or store them in the fridge if you want to prep them ahead of time.
Recipe FAQs & Tips
- Do I need to peel the potatoes before cooking? – It is completely optional. You will have a creamier texture if you do peel them.
- Do I have to use a hand mixer? – No. You can use a potato masher too but the texture is going to be more creamy if you use a hand mixer or you could whip them up in a stand mixer.
- Can I store leftover mashed potatoes? – Yes! You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. They reheat really well! Perfect for prepping ahead of Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner.
- Coconut milk – you can also use almond milk or regular cow’s milk. If you do you coconut milk I recommend this one.
- Ghee – to keep the recipe Whole30 compliant you would want to use ghee, but you could also use butter.
Other Mashed Potato Recipes
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Easy Potato Recipes You Might Like:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 minutes
- Total Time: 19 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – these instant pot mashed potatoes are seriously the EASIEST way to make mashed potatoes! So soft and creamy!
- 8 russet potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel potatoes. Cut each potato into about 4-6 chunks.
- Add potato chunks to your Instant Pot and then add enough water to just barely cover them.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot and set to Seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Drain the potatoes and return to Instant Pot.
- Add ghee (or butter), coconut milk and salt.
- Use a hand mixer to mix/whip.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired.
- Peeling Potatoes: Peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- Coconut Milk: You could also sub in almond milk here, but coconut milk makes them a little extra creamy. I prefer this carton of coconut milk.
- Ghee: To keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo use ghee, but you can easily sub butter if you prefer.
- Hand Mixer: You could also just use a potato masher here, but I prefer to whip them with a hand mixer. Use whatever you prefer.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Cook Time: The 9 minute cook time does not include the few minutes it will take for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Consistency: If you prefer a thinner consistency simply add additional coconut milk a little at a time.
- Reheating: These reheat incredibly well in the microwave!
- Serving Size: 6oz
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Sodium: 240.6 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 9.2 mg
Keywords: instant pot mashed potatoes
This is our go to recipe for mashed potatoes. After years of cooking potatoes on the stove, I tried this recipe and won’t go back to stove top prep. So easy and delicious. It is especially helpful for holiday meal prep, since it frees up your stove for other item, doesn’t require multiple pots and pans, and you can help the potatoes warm in the IP.
Yay!! That’s awesome to hear, Jen!!
These are so good. This is the recipe I always come back to!
So happy to hear that, Kimberlyn! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review + feedback!
Simple and delicious! I only quartered my potatoes and the timing was still great.
Glad you hear that, Natalie! And good to know that quartering works well with the timing too – thank you! And thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback – I so appreciate it!
Instant pot mashed potatoes?! So easy peasy and delicious!
Right?! Why didn’t we figure this one out sooner 🙂 Thanks for the feedback – I really appreciate it!