Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – the easiest way to make mashed potatoes!!!
(Whole30 & Gluten-Free)
Perfect for busy weeknights and holidays!
One of my family’s favorite side dishes are the classic mashed potatoes – especially in these cooler months! We love them and the kids love them. They pair well with so many meals and are super quick and easy to throw together!
Mashed potatoes are also a staple for holiday meals and the fact that they can be made in minutes in the Instant Pot on the counter is a real game changer!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Family friendly – mashed potatoes are loved by adults and kids alike. Nothing better than foods the whole family enjoys.
- Real ingredients – these mashed potatoes are made with just 5 real ingredients!
- Smooth – the texture of these potatoes is so silky smooth, especially if you whip them up with a hand mixer.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Russet potatoes
- Coconut milk
RECIPE FAQs & TIPS
- Do I need to peel the potatoes before cooking? – It is completely optional. You will have a creamier texture if you do peel them.
- Do I have to use a hand mixer? – No. You can use a potato masher too but the texture is going to be more creamy if you use a hand mixer.
- Can I store leftover mashed potatoes? – Yes! You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days. They reheat really well!
- Coconut milk – you can also use almond milk. If you do you coconut milk I recommend this one.
- Ghee – to keep the recipe Whole30 compliant you would want to use ghee, but you could also use butter.
OTHER MASHED POTATO RECIPES
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Stove Top Whole30 Mashed Potatoes
- Creamy Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
Step 1 – Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Place those chunks in the Instant Pot with just enough water to cover them.
Step 2 – Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes.
Step 3 – Drain the cooked potatoes and then place them back in the Instant Pot.
Step 4 – Add ghee (or butter), coconut milk, and salt.
Step 5 – Whip or mash until your desired consistency.
Step 6 – Enjoy!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post includes affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!Print
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes – these instant pot mashed potatoes are seriously the EASIEST way to make mashed potatoes! So soft and creamy!
- 8 russet potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Peel potatoes. Cut each potato into about 4-6 chunks.
- Add potato chunks to your Instant Pot and then add enough water to just barely cover them.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot and set to Seal.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 9 minutes.
- Manually release pressure immediately (according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Drain the potatoes and return to Instant Pot.
- Add ghee (or butter), coconut milk and salt.
- Use a hand mixer to mix/whip.
- Taste and add additional salt, as desired.
- Peeling Potatoes: Peeling the potatoes are optional, but it will turn out creamier if you do peel them.
- Coconut Milk: You could also sub in almond milk here, but coconut milk makes them a little extra creamy. I prefer this carton of coconut milk.
- Ghee: To keep this recipe Whole30/Paleo use ghee, but you can easily sub butter if you prefer.
- Hand Mixer: You could also just use a potato masher here, but I prefer to whip them with a hand mixer. Use whatever you prefer.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days.
- Cook Time: The 9 minute cook time does not include the few minutes it will take for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Consistency: If you prefer a thinner consistency simply add additional coconut milk a little at a time.
- Reheating: These reheat incredibly well in the microwave!
Keywords: instant pot mashed potatoes