A delicious and comforting winter chili that can be made in a crockpot, stove top or Instant Pot!
- 4 cups chicken broth (check your ingredients!)
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can coconut milk (remember to use immersion blender to fully incorporate first)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8oz green chilis
- 1 pint mushrooms
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder** (see notes)
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream (Whole30)
- Jalapeno slices
- Add chicken to crock pot and cover with broth.
- Set to High heat and let cook 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and will flake apart.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, shred with fork, and return to crock pot.
- In large saute pan, add olive oil and bring to high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and stir until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to crock pot along with the remaining ingredients (except for the mushrooms).
- Stir to combine and let cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add mushroom about 30 minutes before you want to eat.
- Taste and add any additional salt or seasoning, as desired.
- Serve with dairy-free sour cream, avocado, jalapeño and/or cilantro.
- Feel free to start with 2 Tablespoons in the Instant Pot and then once everything is combined, taste, and then add the additional Tablespoon if you feel like it needs it. I ended up using all 3 Tablespoons.
- If you are using frozen chicken add 5-7 minutes to the cook time, depending upon thickness.
- Stove Top Directions: This can easily be made on the stove-top: you will simply simmer the chicken in chicken broth in a large saucepan for approx. 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Shred and place back in the pot with chicken broth. Follow directions 3-5, but add onion mixture to saucepan. Let simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer until they cook down, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Instant Pot Directions: On Saute function add olive oil and garlic. Allow garlic to cook about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook until slightly cooked down, about 2-3 minutes. Scoop out onto plate and set aside. Add chicken broth first and use a spoon to scrape the bottom, loosing any onion bits. Add chicken, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper to Instant Pot. Ensure Instant Pot is set to Seal and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove chicken breasts and set on plate. Shred with fork and return meat to Instant Pot. Add the onions and mushrooms along with the coconut milk. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. If you feel the chili is not warm enough after adding the coconut milk simply turn on the Sauté function again to bring it back up to temp. Serve with avocado, cilantro, lime, jalapeño and dairy-free sour cream.
Keywords: slow cooker white chicken chili