Creamy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – a cozy bowl of this creamy and delicious chili is all you need this Fall and Winter!!
A fall favorite of mine! This Creamy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is meant to be made during a cool, crisp fall day!
It is officially Fall outside (especially here in MN) and I am ALL about the cozy soups, stews and chili’s right now! There is just something about having football on the TV on Sunday with a crockpot or soup pan going in the kitchen with my favorite chili cooking away!
I have another chili recipe I can’t wait to share with you in a couple weeks, but one of the reasons I love white chicken chili is because it isn’t tomato-based and, therefore, is a lot less acidic. Remember me – lady who has to drink cold brew because she is recovering from an ulcer – yeah, super tomato-ey recipes still get me once in a while. So while I love me some classic chili, my stomach prefers white chicken chili!
And this recipe can be made in the slow cooker or just on the stove-top. Really the same directions either way!
Oh and don’t forget to top it with my Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream the is Whole30 compliant!
A delicious and comforting winter chili that can be made in a crockpot or on the stove top!
- 4 cups chicken broth (check your ingredients!)
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can coconut milk (remember to use immersion blender to fully incorporate first)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8oz green chilis
- 1 pint mushrooms
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream (Whole30)
- Jalapeno slices
- Add chicken to crock pot and cover with broth.
- Set to High heat and let cook 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and will flake apart.
- In large saute pan, add olive oil and bring to high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and stir until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to crock pot along with the remaining ingredients (except for the mushrooms).
- Stir to combine and let cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add mushroom about 30 minutes before you want to eat.
- Taste and add any additional salt or seasoning, as desired.
- Serve with dairy-free sour cream, avocado, jalapeño and/or cilantro.
This can easily be made on the stove-top: you will simply simmer the chicken in chicken broth in a large saucepan for approx. 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Shred and place back in the pot with chicken broth. Follow directions 3-5, but add onion mixture to saucepan. Let simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer until they cook down, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet!
Don’t forget to PIN for later!!!