Creamy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – a cozy bowl of this creamy and delicious chili is all you need this Fall and Winter!!
Easy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
It is officially Fall outside (especially here in MN) and I am ALL about the cozy soups, stews and chili’s right now! There is just something about having football on the TV on Sunday with a crockpot or soup pan going in the kitchen with my favorite chili cooking away!
I have another chili recipe I can’t wait to share with you in a couple weeks, but one of the reasons I love white chicken chili is because it isn’t tomato-based and, therefore, is a lot less acidic. Remember me – lady who has to drink cold brew because she is recovering from an ulcer – yeah, super tomato-ey recipes still get me once in a while. So while I love me some classic chili, my stomach prefers white chicken chili!
Stove Top + Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
And this recipe can be made in the slow cooker, stove-top or Instant Pot. Really the same directions either way!
Oh and don’t forget to top it with my Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream which is Whole30 compatible!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Flavor: I looove the chili flavor here! I added plenty of chili powder (feel free ease up on it if you want)/
- Whole30/Paleo: I wanted to make a white chicken chili that was Whole30 and Paleo since I eat that way a lot of the time and I know a lot of you do too! If you aren’t concerned with Whole30/Paleo feel free to add some white beans if you want!
- Leftovers: This is one of those recipes that just gets better and better! I love having it for leftovers the next day!
Why is it Called White Chicken Chili
It is called White Chicken Chili because there aren’t any tomatoes, which are typically found in chili. There is still chili powder, which gives it the red coloring, but there are no diced tomatoes, tomato paste, etc. here. That is there the “White” comes from. And then it is obviously made with chicken instead of beef or turkey!
White Chicken Chili Ingredients
- chicken broth
- boneless chicken breasts
- coconut milk
- minced garlic
- yellow onion
- olive oil
- green chilis
- Spices: ground cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, ground black pepper, kosher salt
- Garnish: Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream (Whole30), Avocado, Jalapeno slices, Cilantro
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Irish Beef Stew
- The BEST Classic Paleo Chili
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Whole30)
- Easy Turkey Chili
Creamy Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – A delicious and comforting winter chili that can be made in a slow cooker, stove top or Instant Pot!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (remember to use immersion blender to fully incorporate first)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8oz canned green chilis
- 1 pint mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (more to taste)
- Dairy-Free Coconut Sour Cream (Whole30)
- Jalapeno slices
- Fresh Cilantro
- Add chicken to crock pot and cover with broth.
- Set to High heat and let cook 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked and will flake apart.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, shred with fork, and return to crock pot.
- In large saute pan, add olive oil and bring to high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and stir until reduced, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to crock pot along with the coconut milk, green chilis, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, pepper and salt.
- Stir to combine and let cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Add mushroom about 30 minutes before you want to eat.
- Taste and add any additional salt or seasoning, as desired.
- Serve with dairy-free sour cream, avocado, jalapeño and/or cilantro.
- Stove Top Directions: This can easily be made on the stove-top: you will simply simmer the chicken in chicken broth in a large saucepan for approx. 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Shred and place back in the pot with chicken broth. Follow directions 3-5 and let simmer for approx. 15-20 minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer until they cook down, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Instant Pot Directions: On Saute function add olive oil and garlic. Allow garlic to cook about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook until slightly cooked down, about 2-3 minutes. Scoop out onto plate and set aside. Add chicken broth first and use a spoon to scrape the bottom, loosing any onion bits. Add chicken, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper to Instant Pot. Ensure Instant Pot is set to Seal and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes then manually release any remaining pressure. Remove chicken breasts and set on plate. Shred with fork and return meat to Instant Pot. Add the onions and mushrooms along with the coconut milk. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, as desired. If you feel the chili is not warm enough after adding the coconut milk simply turn on the Sauté function again to bring it back up to temp. Serve with avocado, cilantro, lime, jalapeño and dairy-free sour cream.
- Frozen Chicken: If you are using frozen chicken add 5-7 minutes to the cook time for the Instant Pot method, depending upon thickness.
- Chicken Broth: For Whole30/Paleo double check your chicken broth ingredients.
- Coconut Milk: I always use an immersion blender to reincorporate canned coconut milk that has separated in the can.
- Nutrition Facts: the estimated nutrition facts provided does NOT include any toppings.
- Serving Size: Approx. 1 cup
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 1125.2 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1 g
- Protein: 28.5 g
- Cholesterol: 85.2 mg
Keywords: slow cooker white chicken chili
Don’t forget to PIN for later!!!