Dairy Free Sour Cream – a simple, delicious recipe for homemade dairy-free sour cream (aka vegan sour cream) that is the perfect replacement for the real thing! Gluten-free and soy-free!
Easy Dairy Free Sour Cream Recipe
This Creamy Dairy Free Coconut Sour Cream is the perfect addition to your fridge and an amazing sour cream alternative! It has a light, creamy texture/consistency and is paleo/Whole30! Let’s face it, sometimes you just need a dollop of a little sour cream (like on these healthy homemade enchiladas) – I am thinking of you baked potato! But, being dairy-free, there aren’t TOO many options out there and even less that are also Whole30 compliant. So, I thought I would do a little experimentation with some lemon juice (for the sourness) and some coconut cream (for the creaminess). I was blown away – this simple little mixture is going to come in handy! I know a lot of recipes out there are cashew-based, but I love how the coconut cream works here (plus you don’t have to soak, drain or blend any cashews)!
Why This Recipe Works
- Creamy: using coconut cream is such a great replacement for the creaminess in regular sour cream – this recipe is perfect for dips, on tacos, chili and other soups! There are so many dishes this would be good on – and it will work in your baking recipes!
- Sour: the lemon juice adds that sourness that we love in regular sour cream.
- Easy: made with simple ingredients you most likely already have at home! Plus, no high-speed blender/vitamix or food processor required!
What You Will Need
- coconut cream: you can use either a can of coconut cream (yes, they sell those separately) OR you can use a can of coconut milk – just make sure the coconut cream and coconut water have separated.
- lemon juice + apple cider vinegar: these add sourness to make it taste like sour cream!
- pinch of salt: this just accentuates the flavor.
How to Make Dairy Free Sour Cream
First make sure you are buying either coconut cream (they sell that in a can as well) OR using a can of coconut milk. If you are using a can of coconut milk make sure the coconut cream and the coconut water have separated (you may need to place it in the refrigerator to do that).
Gather all your ingredients.
This is what it looks like when the coconut cream separates and rises to the top of the can.
Remove the coconut cream, leaving the coconut water in the bottom of the can.
Combine everything in a bowl and mix to combine.
Creamy and delicious!
Use on your favorite recipes!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Dairy Free Sour Cream – the perfect dairy-free recipe for when you just can’t go without that dollop of sour cream!
- 3/4 cup coconut cream*
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Combine ingredients in small mixing bowl.
- Taste and add additional lemon juice to make it even more “sour” or additional pinch or two of salt to round out the flavors.
- Use in your favorite recipes!
- Coconut Cream: you can either buy a can of coconut cream OR you can buy a can of full fat coconut milk. Place it in the fridge overnight to ensure the coconut cream separates from the coconut milk. I have always had a good experience with Thai Kitchen Organic.
Keywords: dairy free sour cream
Originally published July 8, 2018.