A delicious dairy-free “cheesy” hash brown bake!
- 20 oz shredded potatoes (check ingredients if Whole30 if buying packaged)
- 5.4 fl oz coconut cream (I used the 5.4 fl oz can by Native Forest)
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (pour into mason jar and blend before use – I use an immersion blender))
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Prepare 11×7 glass baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In small mixing bowl combine coconut cream, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and then set aside.
- In saucepan melt ghee and then add garlic and onion.
- Throw in a pinch of salt and then sauté until the onions reduce, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take your mason jar (or other container) that you blended your coconut milk in and add nutritional yeast – stir or whisk to combine)
- In large mixing bowl add hash browns, the coconut cream mixture, coconut milk mixture and onion mixture.
- Add 1 1/4 Teaspoons salt and then mix to fully combine.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool sightly and then serve hot.
- Frozen or Thawed Hashbrowns: you can use either frozen or thawed hash browns, either will work. If you use frozen you may need to cook it a little bit longer.
- Can You use freshly made hash browns: I have only tested this with store-bought hashbrowns, but I would think you could easily make your own and it should turn out just fine as long as you are grating your hashbrowns into a similar size as the store-bought.
Keywords: cheesy hashbrowns