Dairy-Free Cheesy Hashbrown Bake – a creamy and delicious breakfast bake that is perfect on its own or topped with an egg! (Dairy-Free/Whole30)
This “cheesy” hash brown bake needs to be on your next Sunday brunch menu!
You know those creamy hash brown bakes that are creamy on the inside and kind of crusty on the outside … usually they are made with sour cream and cheese and all other sorts of dairy-laden things….. Well I wanted to re-create that very dish, but without dairy 🙂
And I totally did it.
It took several test-batches, but I finally did it.
I used my Dairy-Free Sour Cream recipe (a variation of it) to re-create the sour cream flavor and I used nutritional yeast to get that cheesy flavor (It works SO well as a cheese-replacement! Just check out this Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup!). Onions and garlic sautéed in ghee add a buttery-ness. It all comes together perfectly and I cannot wait for you guys to try it!!
What you might need for this recipe:
A delicious dairy-free “cheesy” hash brown bake!
- 20 oz shredded potatoes (check ingredients if Whole30 if buying packaged)
- 5.4 fl oz coconut cream (I used the 5.4 fl oz can by Native Forest)
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (pour into mason jar and blend before use – I use an immersion blender))
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon garlic
- 2 Tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
- 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Prepare 11×7 glass baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350
- In small mixing bowl combine coconut cream, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and then set aside.
- In saucepan melt ghee and then add garlic and onion.
- Throw in a pinch of salt and then sauté until the onions reduce, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Take your mason jar (or other container) that you blended your coconut milk in and add nutritional yeast – stir or whisk to combine)
- In large mixing bowl add hash browns, the coconut cream mixture, coconut milk mixture and onion mixture.
- Add 1 1/4 Teaspoons salt and then mix to fully combine.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool sightly and then serve hot.
Thank you so much for reading & supporting The Wooden Skillet! This post contains affiliate links for products I actually use in my own home and personally recommend. Should you make a purchase using one of these links, The Wooden Skillet will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me continue to bring you great original content. Thank you!