Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe – A dairy-free version of your favorite Cream of Mushroom Soup!
- 5 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 8–12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cup chicken broth (vegetable broth would work too)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine first if the coconut milk has separated in can)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or another non-dairy milk)
- In medium/large sauce pan melt 3 tablespoons vegan butter and add onion.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until they reduce.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium/high, stirring constantly until they cook down (approx. 5-7 mins) and start to brown. Stir fairly constantly. (add additional butter, as needed to ensure pan doesn’t dry out – I added a couple extra tablespoons – it depends how big your mushrooms are and how long they need to cook down, they will absorb the butter pretty quickly).
- Add salt, thyme and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt.
- Add flour and stir to fully combine.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking after each pour.
- Let simmer about 10 minutes, whisking softly, and you will see it start to thicken.
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper or thyme – as desired.
- Feel free to garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms and thyme.
- Let cool and it will continue to thicken.
- Maximum Thickness: if using in another recipe (like green bean casserole), allow soup to fully cool so that it reaches maximum thickness. If you don’t allow it to cool you may feel it isn’t thick enough for the recipe.
- Extra-Creamy: if you want the soup extra-creamy, simply reduce the amount of broth you use by 1/2 cup.
- Whole30/Paleo: if you are just looking for a Whole30/Paleo option I would use ghee instead of vegan butter and sub 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca starch for the all-purpose flour.
- Serving Size: 6 oz.
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 1159.6 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 3.7 mg
Keywords: dairy free cream of mushroom soup