A dairy-free version of your favorite Cream of Mushroom Soup (with Whole30/paleo versions)!
- 5 Tablespoons of vegan butter* (use ghee for Whole30 version – see notes)
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 8–12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour (sub 1 1/2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder for Whole30)
- 3 cup chicken broth (vegetable would work too)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine first if the coconut milk has separated in can)
- 1/4 cup Califia unsweetened almond milk
- (Note: if you want the soup extra-creamy, simply reduce the amount of broth you use by 1/2 cup).
- In medium/large sauce pan melt 3 Tablespoons ghee and add onion.
- Cook on medium, stirring constantly, until they reduce.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium/high, stirring constantly until they cook down (approx. 5-7 mins) and start to brown. Stir fairly constantly. (add additional ghee, as needed to ensure pan doesn’t dry out – I added a couple extra Tablespoons – kind of depends how big your mushrooms are and how long they need to cook down, They will absorb the ghee pretty quickly))
- Add a pinch of salt and the thyme.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter/ghee and let melt.
- Add flour and stir to fully combine.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each pour.
- Let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring softly, and you will see it start to thicken.
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper or thyme – as desired.
- Feel free to garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms and thyme.
- Let cool and it will continue to thicken.
- Maximum Thickness: if using in another recipe (like green bean casserole), allow soup to fully cool so that it reaches maximum thickness. If you don’t allow it to cool you may feel it isn’t thick enough for the recipe).
- Extra-Creamy: if you want the soup extra-creamy, simply reduce the amount of broth you use by 1/2 cup).
- Dairy-Free: to make dairy-free use vegan butter or coconut oil
- Whole30/Paleo: if you are just looking for a Whole30/Paleo option I would use ghee instead of vegan butter and use arrowroot instead of all-purpose flour
Keywords: dairy free cream of mushroom soup