A quick and easy recipe for making a creamy Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup in your own kitchen. Perfect for enjoying on its own or in any of your classic holiday recipes!
The Best Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Never buy a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup again! This simple recipe for making a homemade condensed soup with simple ingredients can be made in about 30 minutes right on your stovetop, way better than that canned stuff. We love using it in all those casserole recipes that are popular in the cold weather season. Total comfort food that is packed with flavor and so creamy that nobody will ever know that it also happens to be dairy-free!
What You Will Need
- butter – option to use regular butter or vegan butter to melt in the pan for sautéing the onions and mushrooms.
- onion – we love the mild sweet yellow onion flavor in this soup!
- fresh mushrooms – the hero of soup, we typically use regular white button mushrooms but feel free to grab any of your favorites from the grocery store. Baby bella mushrooms or cremini mushrooms would be good too!
- fresh thyme, kosher salt, & ground black pepper – some fresh herbs & simple seasonings that bring depth of flavor.
- flour – the thickening agent for this soup recipe – option to use 1-to-1 gluten-free flour if you want.
- chicken broth – buy your favorite at your local grocery stores or, for added flavor, make your own homemade chicken broth!
- coconut milk & unsweetened almond milk – these bring all the creamy soup goodness!
How to Make Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
This creamy mushroom soup begins by melting the butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Once it is melted you can add the chopped onion and cook until they become translucent. Now you can toss in the mushrooms.
Continue cooking the white mushrooms for about 5-7 minutes so that they soften and turn brown. Then add the salt, thyme, and the rest of the butter to melt.
Next, it is time to add the flour. Mix to fully coat the mushrooms, creating a bit of a paste around them.
For best results, gradually add the broth a half cup at a time while continuing to mix as you add it. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Finally, add-in your coconut milk and dairy-free milk, mix again, and taste. Make any seasoning adjustments that you want (i.e. salt, thyme, pepper).
Enjoy or let it cool (to thicken a bit more) and add it to any of your favorite recipes.
Best Ways To Use Dairy Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Here in Minnesota, there is simply nothing better than a warm casserole (or hot dish) that uses cream of mushroom soup to bake everything together in our favorite casserole dish. Our all-time favorite is dairy-free green bean casserole , but we also love using it in our broccoli casserole, meatballs and rice, & cauliflower mushroom risotto. Option to make a double batch to add to even more recipes or store for later.
How To Store Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
After you have let your soup cool, you can simply place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 days (perfect for making ahead of time at the holidays) and in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. When you are ready to use it, you can thaw in the fridge overnight.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe – A dairy-free version of your favorite Cream of Mushroom Soup!
- 5 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 8–12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 3 cup chicken broth (vegetable broth would work too)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine first if the coconut milk has separated in can)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or another non-dairy milk)
- In medium/large sauce pan melt 3 tablespoons vegan butter and add onion.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until they reduce.
- Add mushrooms and cook on medium/high, stirring constantly until they cook down (approx. 5-7 mins) and start to brown. Stir fairly constantly. (add additional butter, as needed to ensure pan doesn’t dry out – I added a couple extra tablespoons – it depends how big your mushrooms are and how long they need to cook down, they will absorb the butter pretty quickly).
- Add salt, thyme and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and let melt.
- Add flour and stir to fully combine.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking after each pour.
- Let simmer about 10 minutes, whisking softly, and you will see it start to thicken.
- After 10 minutes, add coconut milk and almond milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper or thyme – as desired.
- Feel free to garnish with additional sautéed mushrooms and thyme.
- Let cool and it will continue to thicken.
- Maximum Thickness: if using in another recipe (like green bean casserole), allow soup to fully cool so that it reaches maximum thickness. If you don’t allow it to cool you may feel it isn’t thick enough for the recipe.
- Extra-Creamy: if you want the soup extra-creamy, simply reduce the amount of broth you use by 1/2 cup.
- Whole30/Paleo: if you are just looking for a Whole30/Paleo option I would use ghee instead of vegan butter and sub 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot or tapioca starch for the all-purpose flour.
- Serving Size: 6 oz.
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 1159.6 mg
- Fat: 13.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Cholesterol: 3.7 mg
Keywords: dairy free cream of mushroom soup
Originally published November 12, 2018.