Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken – a quick and delicious weeknight meal your whole family will love!
- 6 boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 cup roughly chopped and loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil (avocado oil would work too)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and salt in bowl and stir to combine.
- Place chicken in either a large plastic bag or storage container and pour marinade over top.
- Use your hands and gently massage the marinade into the chicken so every crevice is covered.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for a max of 30 minutes.
- Clean grill grates and preheat grill to medium-high heat (about 400 degrees).
- Chicken Thighs: Grill chicken on direct heat (directly over flame) for 3-4 minutes per side (the bigger the thigh the longer you will need to cook it), flipping once. Remove from grill once the internal temp has reached 160/165.
- Chicken Breasts: Place chicken on direct heat (directly over flame) and cook at medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side. Move chicken away from the direct heat (direct flame) so that it is cooking on indirect heat (maintaining the same grill temp) and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes (you don’t need to flip during this point because the chicken will cook as if it is in an oven) or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reads 160 on your meat thermometer.
- Remove from grill and let rest at least 5 minutes; internal temp will continue to rise as it rests (up to 10 degrees). Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temp of 165 at its thickest part.
- Kosher Salt: make sure you are using kosher salt and not table salt! Table salt will result in a much too salty flavor.
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs or Breasts: you can use bone-in chicken thighs or breasts, just adjust your cooking time accordingly – they will take longer because they are bone-in.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh guacamole for best result 🙂
Keywords: cilantro lime chicken, grilled cilantro lime chicken