Healthy Chicken Enchiladas – an easy, delicious recipe for chicken enchiladas that is easy to prep ahead of time! Great weeknight dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 large (3 medium) skinless, boneless chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1 4.5oz can green chilies
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 15oz can refried beans)
- Approx. 7 large tortillas of your choice
- 1 batch Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce OR we have also used Siete brand
- 2–3 cups shredded cheese (regular or dairy-free) (more if you want)
- Toppings options: cilantro, red onion, sour cream (regular or dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Coat pan with a little olive oil.
- Add garlic and yellow onion, let cook for a few minutes, stirring fairly constantly.
- Add chicken and green chiles. Stir and let warm through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with olive oil.
- Take one tortilla at at time and add chicken filling to the center along with some black beans and then roll up. Place tortilla in the pan, pushed up tight against one side. Continue filling tortillas with the chicken mixture and placing them in the pan.
- Once the pan is filled, pour the enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in the oven (middle rack, uncovered) for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchilada sauce is a little bubbly.
- Remove and let cool a few minutes.
- Serve immediately with any toppings you want: fresh cilantro, diced red onion, sour cream (regular or dairy-free).
- Tortillas: we love using these Siete tortillas, but use whatever works best for you!
- Enchilada Sauce: We love this Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce and for store-bought we love the Siete brand, they have a great green or red enchilada sauce! The homemade version is gluten-free friendly and the Siete brand is paleo! This Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce is paleo as well!
- Beans: feel free to use refried beans in place of the black beans if you want.
- Make then creamy: feel free to add a little Kite Kill cream cheese or Siete cashew queso inside the tortilla along with the chicken and beans if you want to make it extra creamy (without the extra dairy)!
- Make them spicy: add in some jalapeño to the chicken, onion and green Chile mixture if you want to spice it up more!
- Make Ahead: to prep these ahead of time I would recommend making the enchilada sauce (if you are making your own) and then just prep the filling for the tortillas (chicken, onions, green chiles, etc). Then throw everything together before popping in the oven.
Keywords: healthy chicken enchiladas