Healthy Chicken Enchiladas are a delicious weeknight dinner that is easy to prep and absolutely delicious! Use red enchilada sauce or green enchilada sauce!
Best Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
These Chicken enchiladas are always a hit in our house so they have definitely earned a spot on the blog for sure! They come together easily, the flavor is amazing and I cannot wait for you to make them!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy: easy as rolling some shredded chicken up in a tortilla and pouring some sauce over it 🙂
- Kid-Friendly: my kiddos are always down for enchilada night!
- Make Ahead: I absolutely love prepping the shredded chicken filling ahead of time so the dinner take just a few minutes to throw together and then pop it in the oven!
- Versatile: you can easily make this dairy-free or gluten-free and you can always use refried beans instead of black beans!
What You Will Need
- olive oil: this is what we use to sauté the garlic, onions and chicken in, feel free to use avocado oil if you prefer.
- yellow onion: you could really use any type of onion here, but I prefer a yellow onion.
- garlic: … because you always gotta have a little garlic!
- chicken breast: making shredded chicken breast is super easy, we have a couple ways to do it outlined here!
- green chilies: a small can of green chiles adds lots of flavor.
- kosher salt and ground black pepper: always gotta season with some kosher salt and pepper!
- black beans: you can sub in refried beans (or you can omit them, but then you might want to up the amount of chicken you are using).
- tortillas of your choice: we love using the Siete brand tortillas, but use whatever works best for you.
- enchilada sauce: we used this Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce but this Siete brand of store-bought enchilada sauce works too!
- shredded cheese: use dairy-free or regular cheese!
- Toppings options: cilantro, red onion, sour cream (regular or dairy-free) all work well on top.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
Step One: gather your ingredients.
Step Two: sauté the garlic, onions, chicken and green chiles.
Step Three: add the chicken filling to the middle of your tortillas, roll up and place in a baking pan.
Step Four: pour enchilada sauce over top, then add cheese on top of that. Bake for about 20-30 minutes.
Step Five: remove from oven.
Step Six: add any toppings you want and enjoy!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas – an easy, delicious recipe for chicken enchiladas that is easy to prep ahead of time! Great weeknight dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 large (3 medium) skinless, boneless chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1 4.5oz can green chilies
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 15oz can refried beans)
- Approx. 7 large tortillas of your choice
- 1 batch Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce OR we have also used Siete brand
- 2–3 cups shredded cheese (regular or dairy-free) (more if you want)
- Toppings options: cilantro, red onion, sour cream (regular or dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Coat pan with a little olive oil.
- Add garlic and yellow onion, let cook for a few minutes, stirring fairly constantly.
- Add chicken and green chiles. Stir and let warm through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with olive oil.
- Take one tortilla at at time and add chicken filling to the center along with some black beans and then roll up. Place tortilla in the pan, pushed up tight against one side. Continue filling tortillas with the chicken mixture and placing them in the pan.
- Once the pan is filled, pour the enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in the oven (middle rack, uncovered) for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchilada sauce is a little bubbly.
- Remove and let cool a few minutes.
- Serve immediately with any toppings you want: fresh cilantro, diced red onion, sour cream (regular or dairy-free).
- Tortillas: we love using these Siete tortillas, but use whatever works best for you!
- Enchilada Sauce: We love this Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce and for store-bought we love the Siete brand, they have a great green or red enchilada sauce! The homemade version is gluten-free friendly and the Siete brand is paleo!
- Beans: feel free to use refried beans in place of the black beans if you want.
- Make then creamy: feel free to add a little Kite Kill cream cheese or Siete cashew queso inside the tortilla along with the chicken and beans if you want to make it extra creamy (without the extra dairy)!
- Make them spicy: add in some jalapeño to the chicken, onion and green Chile mixture if you want to spice it up more!
- Make Ahead: to prep these ahead of time I would recommend making the enchilada sauce (if you are making your own) and then just prep the filling for the tortillas (chicken, onions, green chiles, etc). Then throw everything together before popping in the oven.
Keywords: healthy chicken enchiladas