Spaghetti Squash Bowls – an easy weeknight dinner that is simple and delicious! Perfect for meal prep!
- 1 spaghetti squash (roasted or Instant Pot)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 15oz jar of spaghetti sauce (easy homemade sauce)
- Prep spaghetti squash: cook the entire spaghetti squash in the oven or Instant Pot.
- Cook meat mixture: About 10 minutes prior to the spaghetti squash being done, bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil (or ghee). Add garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add sausage, red onion, and salt and continue to move around pan until fully cooked.
- Option to add vegetables: if you choose to add a vegetable, add it now, and cook for a few more minutes until tender but firm.
- Add sauce: pour your spaghetti sauce of choice over the meat mixture, mix to combine, and continue cooking until heated through.
- Assemble: add some spaghetti squash to a bowl (top it with a chunk of ghee and a pinch of salt and pepper) and pile the meat sauce on top.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional Vegetables: you can easily add some vegetables to this meat sauce in step 3, like mushrooms, zucchini, fresh spinach, etc.
- Meal Prep: this could easily be meal prepped! Just make the sauce and the spaghetti squash and store in separate containers, reheat, and enjoy throughout the week!
- Storage: place in an airtight container for up to 5-6 days. Recommended to store the meat sauce separate from the cooked spaghetti squash to prevent any sogginess.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 755 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 35.7 mg
Keywords: spaghetti squash bowl