These Easy Spaghetti Squash Bowls are the perfect simple dinner recipe for those nights when you don’t feel like stressing about dinner … but want something healthy! An easy way to turn your regular spaghetti night into a more plant-based dinner option!
Easy Spaghetti Squash Bowls
My current weeknight obsession! I don’t know about you guys, but my weeks seem to just get busier and busier! Even though I work from home now, I still need to plan out my meals, meal prep and be ready for the week. And this is currently my favorite weeknight dinner! In the late summer/fall season we love to can our own homemade marinara sauce, which always helps take this one over the top. If you have the time, we definitely recommend it! Or make our recipe for Easy Pasta Sauce – so simple and so good.
We also love serving these Italian Baked Meatballs over a bowl of spaghetti squash!
What You Will Need
- spaghetti squash – option to roast it in the oven or make it in the Instant Pot, either way works!
- ghee – or use extra virgin olive oil, both will keep the recipe Whole30/Paleo compliant.
- Italian sausage – use the option that works for you – mild, spicy, Whole30 compliant, etc.
- red onion – a nice mild flavor addition, feel free to sprinkle a little on top for a garnish too!
- garlic – everything is always better with garlic, especially when making an Italian-based recipe.
- kosher salt – just a pinch for added seasoning.
- spaghetti sauce – grab a store-bought version from your local grocery store or make our easy pasta sauce!
I like to prep my spaghetti squash ahead of time (learn how to perfectly roast your spaghetti squash here) and save the squash noodles for later in the week – that will cut most of the cook time out of this recipe! Then when it is dinnertime, just re-heat your spaghetti squash and make your meat sauce! Super simple and totally kid-friendly! If you would rather cook your spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot®, that works really well too!! Here is my tutorial!
And you have to put a little dab of ghee + salt + pepper on your spaghetti squash before you start mixing everything together – it totally elevates this super simple dish to the next level!
How To Make Spaghetti Squash Bowls
We like to begin with cooking the spaghetti squash, either in the oven or Instant Pot. This can be cooking while you make the meat sauce.
Towards the end of your cook time on the spaghetti squash you bring a cast iron skillet to a medium heat and add the ghee or olive oil. Then add the garlic, move around until fragrant, and then the Italian sausage and red onion.
Continue cooking until the sausage has browned completely.
Pro tip: add some fresh vegetables (i.e. mushrooms, zucchini, etc.) and cook until tender but firm!
Add your spaghetti sauce of choice to the pan, mix to fully combine, and cook until heated through. Finally, assemble your amazing spaghetti squash bowl!
How Should I Serve Spaghetti Squash Bowls
Honestly, you can just serve this as-is – the meat sauce and spaghetti squash noodles. Or you could make some roasted broccoli to have with it or, if you aren’t concerned about keeping it Whole30 compliant, enjoy with some garlic bread or a slice of grilled bread!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, check out my Instagram account or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Other Bowl Recipes You Might Like
Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4–5 people 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top and Oven
- Cuisine: American
Spaghetti Squash Bowls – an easy weeknight dinner that is simple and delicious! Perfect for meal prep!
- 1 spaghetti squash (roasted or Instant Pot)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 15oz jar of spaghetti sauce (easy homemade sauce)
- Prep spaghetti squash: cook the entire spaghetti squash in the oven or Instant Pot.
- Cook meat mixture: About 10 minutes prior to the spaghetti squash being done, bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil (or ghee). Add garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add sausage, red onion, and salt and continue to move around pan until fully cooked.
- Option to add vegetables: if you choose to add a vegetable, add it now, and cook for a few more minutes until tender but firm.
- Add sauce: pour your spaghetti sauce of choice over the meat mixture, mix to combine, and continue cooking until heated through.
- Assemble: add some spaghetti squash to a bowl (top it with a chunk of ghee and a pinch of salt and pepper) and pile the meat sauce on top.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional Vegetables: you can easily add some vegetables to this meat sauce in step 3, like mushrooms, zucchini, fresh spinach, etc.
- Meal Prep: this could easily be meal prepped! Just make the sauce and the spaghetti squash and store in separate containers, reheat, and enjoy throughout the week!
- Storage: place in an airtight container for up to 5-6 days. Recommended to store the meat sauce separate from the cooked spaghetti squash to prevent any sogginess.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 755 mg
- Fat: 17.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8 g
- Protein: 11.7 g
- Cholesterol: 35.7 mg
Keywords: spaghetti squash bowl
This is super easy and so delicious!
Yay!!! So glad to hear that, Jess!! Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback – I really appreciate it! 🙂