A healthier version of a Dorito Taco Salad!! So easy and delicious – perfect for hot summer nights!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning (or 1 batch homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 head ice berg lettuce, ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 1–2 tomatoes, diced
- 2/3 bag taco chips (these are gluten-free/dairy-free)
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce, divided
- 6oz dairy-free cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce (or make your own)
- Optional: sliced black olives, avocado (guacamole)
- Cook ground beef in large cast iron skillet.
- Drain any excess grease.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Simmer 10 minutes.
- In large bowl add shredded lettuce, tomatoes, crushed chips (just use your hands to crush them) and cheese (if using).
- Add cooked taco meat on top.
- Mix well.
- To make the Taco Dressing combine the remaining tomato sauce with the ketchup and taco sauce. Stir to combine.
- Serve salad immediately with Taco Dressing on the side (people can spoon as much as they like over top their salad) and any black olives or avocado/guacamole.
- Serve excess chips in a small bowl so people have extra!
- Leftovers: While leftovers or good, this is definitely a meal that is better when fresh. The crushed taco chips and ice berg lettuce will get a little mushy overnight in the fridge.
- Cheese: of course you can always use regular cheese or goat cheese if you prefer and/or aren’t allergic or sensitive to it.
- Paleo Version: This recipe is Paleo-Friendly. Make sure you are using grain-free chips with clean ingredients (like this one), omit the cheese (dairy-free or otherwise) and when you are making your Taco Salad Dressing + Seasoning make sure you are checking ingredients.
- Gluten-Free Version: This recipe is Gluten-Free Friendly. Make sure you are using grain-free chips with clean ingredients (like this one) and make your own Taco Salad Dressing + Seasoning (recipes linked in ingredient list).
Keywords: healthy taco salad, taco salad