Healthy Taco Salad – a healthier spin on your classic Dorito taco salad! Made with simple, real ingredients and absolutely delicious! Dairy-free friendly!
Healthy Taco Salad
This is a recipe for Taco Salad that I grew up eating every summer! Okay growing up we always used Doritos (so basically this is a healthier take on a Dorito Taco Salad) using Siete grain free taco chips instead and dairy-free cheese (of course use regular if you want), but the flavor is still there!! Can’t wait for you guys to try this one!!
Taco Salad Ingredients (+ taco salad dressing)
- Ground Beef: we highly recommend getting the highest quality ground beef – it really does taste better!
- Taco Seasoning (or 1 batch homemade): we love making our homemade version, but feel free to go with store-bought.
- Ice Berg Lettuce: this adds a nice little crunch!
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes are our go-to here!
- taco chips: (this kind is gluten-free): the Siete brand is great, but as always, do what is best for you!
- Cheese: use dairy-free if you want to!
- Optional Toppings: black olives, avocado or dairy-free sour cream
- Taco Dressing: we love making this homemade taco dressing!
Should Taco Salad be Warm or Cold
This might be up to personal preference or what you are used to growing up! I always grew up eating this salad warm – as in you put the taco meat on top of the lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, etc. while it is still warm. Then the cheese (dairy-free or otherwise) melts and is SO good!!!
What goes with Taco Salad
You don’t need much to go with taco salad since it has so many yummy ingredients in it already! But here are a few other suggestions for fun, complementary summer dishes/drinks that could go with it:
How do you make Taco Meat for Taco Salad
- Cook ground beef in cast iron skillet.
- Drain off excess grease, if necessary.
- Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce.
- Mix well and let simmer for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add to your taco salad and mix!
Does it make Good Leftovers
Honestly – not really. I mean, we still eat it the next day because we love it so much, but it is definitely best day-of! The lettuce and taco chips just get a little mushy after sitting overnight in the fridge!
Other Healthy Summer Salads:
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
A healthier version of a Dorito Taco Salad!! So easy and delicious – perfect for hot summer nights!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning (or 1 batch homemade taco seasoning)
- 1 head ice berg lettuce, ripped into bite-sized pieces
- 1–2 tomatoes, diced
- 2/3 bag taco chips (these are gluten-free/dairy-free)
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce, divided
- 6oz cheese, shredded (more if desired) (feel free to use dairy-free cheese)
- Optional: sliced black olives, avocado (guacamole)
- Cook ground beef in large cast iron skillet.
- Drain any excess grease.
- Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Simmer 10 minutes.
- In large bowl add shredded lettuce, tomatoes, crushed chips (just use your hands to crush them) and cheese (if using).
- Add cooked taco meat on top.
- Mix well.
- To make the Taco Dressing combine the remaining tomato sauce with the ketchup and taco sauce. Stir to combine.
- Serve salad immediately with Taco Dressing on the side (people can spoon as much as they like over top their salad) and any black olives or avocado/guacamole.
- Serve excess chips in a small bowl so people have extra!
- Leftovers: While leftovers or good, this is definitely a meal that is better when fresh. The crushed taco chips and ice berg lettuce will get a little mushy overnight in the fridge.
- Cheese: of course you can always use regular cheese or goat cheese if you prefer and/or aren’t allergic or sensitive to it.
- Paleo Version: This recipe is Paleo-Friendly. Make sure you are using grain-free chips with clean ingredients (like this one), omit the cheese (dairy-free or otherwise) and when you are making your Taco Salad Dressing + Seasoning make sure you are checking ingredients.
- Gluten-Free Version: This recipe is Gluten-Free Friendly. Make sure you are using grain-free chips with clean ingredients (like this one) and make your own Taco Salad Dressing + Seasoning (recipes linked in ingredient list).
Keywords: healthy taco salad, taco salad
Originally Published on: Jun 16, 2020