Ultimate Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib Recipe) – Perfect for any special occasion and so easy to make!
- 1 standing rib roast (prime rib) – we used an 8lb roast
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons ground black pepper
- Combine salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pat prime rib with clean paper towels.
- Rub salt and pepper mixture all over rib roast at least 2 hours prior to cooking (it is okay to not use all of the salt and pepper mixture – use your best judgment);
- After rubbing with salt and pepper, leave out to allow the roast to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F;
- Place rib roast on roaster (fat side up) and place in oven, uncovered. You do not need to use a roasting rack.
- You will want to cook your rib roast/prime rib for a TOTAL of 15 minutes per pound (this will result in a medium rare center – if your roast is particularly robust, cook 16 or 17 minutes per pound).
- The first 20 minutes will be at 500 degrees F.
- Then drop the oven temp down to 325 degrees F. for the rest of your cooking time.
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN AT ANY POINT.
- Remove from oven and immediately cover with foil or the roaster cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes (do not skip this step!) – the meat will continue to cook during this time;
- Cut into steaks and serve immediately.
- I like to serve with my Creamy Horseradish Sauce.
- Serving Size: An 8 pound roast serves approximately 8 people, assuming each person consumes a 1lb prime rib steak; adjust accordingly as desired.
- Kosher Salt: Ensure you are using kosher salt and not table salt (table salt would result in a much-too-salty roast),
- Bone-In vs. Boneless: If you can only find a boneless prime rib, I would recommend reducing the cooking time to 14-14.5 minutes per pound as they will cook just a little bit quicker.
- Seasoning Alternative: if you want something different than just salt and pepper, you can use this Prime Rib Seasoning instead.
- Serving: serve with this creamy horseradish sauce and homemade prime rib au jus.
- Leftovers: if you have leftovers this Leftover Prime Rib Sandwich is the perfect answer!!
Keywords: standing rib roast, how to cook a standing rib roast, prime rib, how to cook prime rib