Strawberry Old Fashioned
A Strawberry Old-Fashioned is a refreshing summer drink that leave you wanting more!
I am not going to pretend to be a whiskey connoisseur, because I definitely not even close. But as we were on vacation a few weeks ago, my husband was on a Old-Fashioned kick. If you aren’t generally a whiskey fan, Old-Fashioned’s are the way to go, because you have the sugar and (hopefully) cherry juice muddled in. Well, we were scrounging around to see if we had everything to make these bad boys: sugar cubes -check; water-check; whiskey-check; oranges-check; cherries….. nada. It just so happens that northern Wisconsin, where we were, is incredibly well-known for its strawberries and we had a whole bowl of them sitting right in front of us – boom. Subtract cherry juice and add muddled strawberries. A new, amazing, drink was born.
You really have to use fresh strawberries though (and good whiskey – a sipping drink like this made with bad whisky would just be…. bad). It is sweet (but not too sweet guys), fresh and I could sip on it allllll day on the beach. So incredibly refreshing.
As the ice starts to melt, the whiskey will get a little diluted and not so intense and the sugar, orange and strawberry will start to meld together – man I wish were back on vacation, sipping on one of these ….. and looking at this sunrise…
But, the good news is that even if I am not currently sitting on the beach, I can still make a damn good cocktail that reminds me a pretty sweet week and a half on the lake….. Take a sip and enjoy!Print
Strawberry Old Fashioned – a simple, delicious strawberry old fashioned recipe that is perfect for late summer nights!
- 2 sugar cubes
- 1/2 Teaspoon water
- 2 fresh strawberries (additional for garnish as desired)
- 2oz premium Canadian whiskey
- 1 orange rind
- (soda water is optional if you want to tone down the whiskey further)
- Muddle 2 sugar cubes with water (to dissolve sugar) in a low ball glass.
- Add strawberries and muddle as well.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add 2oz premium whiskey.
- Garnish with orange rind (and strawberry if you want).
- Soda water could also be added if individuals want whiskey toned down even further, but as the ice melts, the whiskey will diluted.
Keywords: strawberry old fashioned