Avocado Turkey Burger – In the summer we love grilling some epic burgers, but sometimes you need a different, lighter option. Enter the Avocado Turkey Burgers! They are a perfectly grilled turkey burger that is juicy and full of so much great flavor. Place some avocado (and any other toppings you want) on top and it is the perfect summer meal!
Easy Turkey Avocado Burgers
We love using the grill to do as much cooking as possible (love the minimal cleanup) and burgers are definitely on regular rotation for our family. We love a classic grilled burger with ground beef but sometimes you need to change it up and that’s when we love to make a juicy chicken burger or this amazing avocado turkey burger! We absolutely love some fresh slices of avocado and it is the perfect compliment to this burger – we also added some quick pickled onions, lettuce, burger sauce, and American cheese to really take it over the top!
What You Will Need
- ground turkey – this is traditionally a very lean meat so we recommend finding the least lean turkey meat your grocery store has. That will help keep it moist.
- white onion – simply grate the onion on to a paper towel and squeeze out the moisture before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- frozen butter – this is our secret ingredient for keeping it so juicy! We just keep a stick of butter in the freezer so it is always ready for tossing in a burger mix.
- garlic – everything is always better with a little garlic!
- mayo – adds a bit of flavor and some more moisture to keep things juicy!
- worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, & liquid smoke – a delicious flavor combo that pairs really well with the ground turkey.
- lemon zest – just a sprinkling to help bring out all the great flavors.
- parmesan cheese – if you want to keep this dairy free you have the option to omit or find a dairy free option.
- kosher salt & pepper – add a little to the burger patties once they are formed for some added seasoning.
- sliced cheese – we love using a classic American cheese, but these would also be good with sliced swiss or provolone!
- bun of choice – just grab your favorite! Option to get whole wheat, gluten-free, or a simple lettuce bun.
- toppings – we topped this one with avocado, lettuce, pickled onions, and burger sauce, but feel free to top it any way you want.
Is Avocado Good On Turkey Burgers
We say ABSOLUTELY!! Avocado is probably one of our all-time favorite foods and it pairs perfectly with a nice, juicy grilled turkey burger!
What Makes A Turkey Burger Juicy
We have a few key tips to keeping your turkey burgers as juicy as possible. First, begin by trying to find the least lean ground turkey at the store. The leaner the meat, the easier it drys out! Second, you have to add the frozen grated butter. Those little bits of butter mixed into the burger ingredients really help to keep them nice and moist!
How Thick Should I Make My Turkey Burger
We suggest making it your turkey patty around 1/2-3/4 inch thick. That size seems to be a substantial size (so it doesn’t fall apart) without being too thick to bit into. You can always adjust this to your preferred thickness but if you go thicker they may need to cook for a few more minutes to ensure they are cooked all the way.
What Should I Serve With Turkey Avocado Burgers
We typically try to keep the sides simple but you can serve these with just about anything – homemade french fries, grilled sweet corn, grilled potato wedges, or some simple grilled broccoli! If you are making these for a BBQ you could also serve them with some creamy coleslaw.
These burgers can easily be made ahead of time! Depending on how far ahead you want to do the prep you can either make the patties and store then in an airtight container in the fridge overnight or you can make the patties, place parchment paper in between them, and place them all in a freezer safe bag to store for up to 3 months.
How To Make Avocado Turkey Burgers
You can start by grating your white onion.
Place the shredded onion in a paper towel and squeeze to remove moisture.
Next, use the same grater to grate a couple tablespoons of frozen butter.
Place all the burger ingredients in a bowl and mix to fully combine.
Form into patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Put a thumb indent in the middle of each burger and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Place the entire baking sheet in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
Carefully clean the hot grill grates before placing the burgers on.
Grill the burgers on a preheated grill for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees F.
Option to place cheese on top during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
Grab your toppings!
And build the most epic avocado turkey burger!
Don’t forget to check out my Instagram account for some behind-the-scenes action! Or give me a follow on Facebook or see what I am pinning on Pinterest!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Other Burger Recipes You Might Like
Mexican Street Corn Burger
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Caramelized Onion Burger
Turkey Avocado Burger Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Freeze Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 47 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner/Entree
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Avocado Turkey Burgers – a juicy, delicious and easy turkey burger recipe with avocado, cheese and pickled onions!
- 1 lb ground turkey*
- 1/4 cup white onion, shredded
- 2–3 tablespoons frozen butter, shredded**
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- burger bun of your choice (regular or gluten-free)
- burger sauce
- american cheese (regular or dairy-free)
- avocado slices
- pickled onions
- Ensure grill grates are clean and heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place a cheese grater on top of 2-3 pieces of paper towel. Grate the white onion on top of the paper towel. Use the paper towel to gently squeeze out as much of the excess moisture from the onion. Set onions aside.
- Use the same cheese grater to shred the frozen butter (if using).
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, grated white onion, grated butter, garlic, worcestershire, mayo, dijon, lemon zest, liquid smoke and parmesan cheese.
- Fully combine.
- Prepare a small parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal patties about 1/2-3/4 inches thick on the cookie sheet. Press down in the middle with your thumb to create an indent.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes (this ensures it will be easy for you to lift them off the cookie sheet and they will hold their shape on the grill).
- Season the top generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Take a piece of paper towel and put a little olive oil on it – hold it with a pair of tongs and rub the olive oil on the hot grill (carefully).
- Place burgers on the grill over direct heat and close the lid.
- Let cook 5-6 minutes per side or until they reach 160 degrees F. internal temperature.
- If using cheese, place on top during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes.
- To build burger: place a piece of lettuce on top of the bottom bun. Follow with burger sauce, turkey burger, sliced avocado, pickled onions and top bun.
- *Ground Turkey – I recommend buying the least lean option possible.
- **Frozen Butter – if you are looking to really keep these turkey burgers lean, you can definitely omit the butter BUT if you are just looking for a juicy turkey burger then definitely include this step!
- Make ahead: feel free to make the patties the day before. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: to make these ahead and freeze simply prepare raw patties and then place a piece of parchment between them as you stack. Place in a freezer-safe bag, label and place in freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and then grill according to the instructions above.
- Nutrition: provided nutrition is an estimate and includes a whole what bun, avocado and a slice of cheese.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 531
- Sugar: 1.2 g
- Sodium: 1008.2 mg
- Fat: 39.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8 g
- Protein: 38.6 g
- Cholesterol: 137.1 mg
Keywords: avocado turkey burger
We have made these multiple times now – so good!