Soba Noodles + Avocado and Edamame is a simple yet flavor-packed vegetarian-friendly noodle bowl that is full of nutrients and protein.
Easy Soba Noodle Recipe
If you are looking for a quick, delicious, plant-based lunch or dinner idea – we have got you covered! This is my go-to soba noodle recipe and it always hits the spot. Made with simple, real ingredients and super versatile (eat it as-is, with tofu or even grilled chicken if that is what you are looking for). Cannot wait for you to try this one!
Why This Recipe Works
- Sauce: the sauce is packed with flavor and we thicken it with a little slurry.
- Quick: it only takes a few minutes for this whole meal to come together.
- Serving options: you can eat it as-is or with some tofu or other protein.
Soba Noodle Ingredients
- soy sauce: I highly recommend using the Kikkoman brand for this – I have found it works best in this recipe.
- ginger + garlic: these add so much flavor!
- sesame oil: I love the depth of flavor this create!
- lemon juice: adding a touch of acidity.
- mirin: (use rice vinegar if you can’t find it) this also adds some acidity.
- slurry: 1/4 cup cold water + 2 tablespoon cornstarch is what makes up our slurry! So easy!
- soba noodles: you should be able to find these at most grocery stores.
- avocados + edamame + carrots + cilantro: these are my recommended toppings, but feel free to change it up!
Tip, make the Soy Ginger sauce a head of time and then really all you need to do is cook the soba noodles and assemble your bowl as you see fit.
You will have leftovers, most likely, of the Soy Ginger sauce. This is a good thing people. Save it and marinate some chicken in it and serve over rice with some broccoli. There. I have just planned two meals for you this week. 🙂
How to Make Soy Ginger Soba Noodles
Combine your sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
Make a slurry and then whisk that into your sauce to thicken.
Cook your soba noodles al dente according to the package instructions.
Divide the soba noodles between bowls and add in the toppings.
Soy Ginger Soba Noodles – a simple, delicious soba noodle recipe that is easy to make and packed with flavor! A great lunch or dinner idea!
- 1 cup Kikkoman soy sauce*
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mirin (use rice vinegar if you can’t find it)
- 1/4 cup water
- slurry: 1/4 cup cold water + 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 9.5oz soba noodles
- 1–2 avocados (can be sliced or diced)
- 1 cup edamame (just beans)
- 1 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In medium saucepan add soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, mirin, lemon juice and water.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Mix up slurry.
- Slowly add slurry, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat as soon as it reaches the consistency you want.
- Cook soba noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
- For serving: In each person’s bowl add the desired amount of soba noodles, edamame, avocado, cilantro and carrots.
- Pour the desired amount of soy ginger sauce on top and toss.
- Sesame seeds for garnish.
- Can be served warm or cold.
- Feel free to serve with tofu or grilled chicken.
- *Kikkoman Soy Sauce: after testing a couple different brands, this brand resulted in the best flavor for this dish.
- Extra Sauce: you might end up with extra sauce, save it for later – it could be a fun on grilled chicken!
Keywords: soba noodles
Originally published November 14, 2016.