Soy Ginger Soba Noodles + Avocado and Edamame is a simple yet flavor-packed vegetarian noodle bowl that is full of nutrients and protein.
Do I have permission to take a quick breather from all of the Thanksgiving-themed goodies and side dishes to talk about these amazingly yummy Soy Ginger Soba Noodles?! I love turkey and stuffing as much as the next lady, but holy cannoli batman, it is everywhere! I just need a minute to collect my bearings and make a normal, everyday recipe for a sec. You guys with me? Whew. Good. Because these are so awesome. If you love soy sauce (yes, me!) and noodles (oooh, also me!) as well as edamame, avocado and cilantro (me, me and also me) then holy hannah, you are going to love these. You can prep most of this ahead of time and eat it for lunch or dinner.
Can I be honest and tell you this is the first time I have ever had soba noodles. I had this presumption that they would be slimy for some reason. Completely untrue. They taste a lot like regular old noodles, but when you have this awesome Soy Ginger sauce on top of them – man. So good. You have some crunch from the carrots and edamame (which is also a good source of protein) and then the savoriness from the avocado, it really all melds together perfectly. Add some cilantro in there and boom – you have yourself a kick-ass meal. I am officially a fan of rice bowls AND noodle bowls now.
Tip, make the Soy Ginger sauce a head of time and then really all you need to do is cook the soba noodles and assemble your bowl as you see fit.
You will have leftovers, most likely, of the Soy Ginger sauce. This is a good thing people. Save it and marinate some chicken in it and serve over rice with some broccoli. There. I have just planned two meals for you this week. 🙂
If you are loving this noodle bowl, check out Chicken Ramen Noodle Soup +Crispy Chicken Skins and Cilantro!!!
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh, chopped ginger
- 1 Teaspoon fresh, chopped garlic
- 2 Teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons mirin
- 1/4 cup water
- slurry: 1/4 cup cold water + 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 9.5oz soba noodles
- 1–2 avocados (can be sliced or diced)
- 1 cup edamame (just beans)
- 1 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In medium saucepan add soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, mirin, lemon juice and water.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Mix up slurry.
- Slowly add slurry, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat as soon as it reaches the consistency you want.
- Cook soba noodles according to package instructions.
- For serving: In each person’s bowl add the desired amount of soba noodles, edamame, avocado, cilantro and carrots.
- Pour the desired amount of soy ginger sauce on top and toss.
- Sesame seeds for garnish.
- Can be served warm or cold.
- Feel free to serve with tofu or chicken.