Sweet Curried Rice Noodles + Shrimp and Roasted Vegetables is a take on Bangkok Curry that is sweet and savory and will please any crowd!
Goal: re-create one of my favorite take-out go-to’s: Noodles & Co.’s Bangkok Curry. Goal accomplished. You guys, these noodles are YUMMY. The sauce – I could drink it all by itself, but won’t, because it tastes so damn good wrapped around the rice noodles and mingled with the broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage and shrimp. It is healthy, delicious and will leave you wanting more….
The sauce has a coconut milk base with red curry paste and roasted red chili paste and then onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil to go with it. Added sugar provides some sweetness. The veggies are simply roasted/broiled in some olive oil and salt and the shrimp (which I bought pre-cooked) can be heated up on in a skillet (or could probably be thrown in with the vegetables if you wanted one less dish). The key is to cook your rice noodles perfectly and serve right away with the sauce – otherwise, rice noodles can tend to get a little mushy and sticky. Not cool. Be vigilant with your rice noodles….
It turned out amazing and I seriously can’t wait to make it again…… Next time I get a craving for Noodles, I am whipping up a bowl of this.
Looking for other yummy pasta recipes? Check out Fettuccine with Mussels, Clams and Bay Scallops in White Wine Sauce!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 Teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons roasted red chili paste
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 12–16 large pre-cooked shrimp
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup red pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 cups of white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups yellow onion, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 1/2 cup purple cabbage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3–4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package rice noodles (4oz)
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium-high.
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, ginger, garlic and sesame oil.
- Let onions sweat, cooking for 10 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add coconut milk, red curry paste, roasted red chili paste, sugar and soy sauce.
- Mix thoroughly and let simmer, uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick.
- In large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, red pepper, mushrooms, onion and cabbage and add olive oil and salt; Mix well and spread out on cookie sheet.
- Move oven rack to the second from the top and broil the vegetables on low for 15 minutes, mixing them halfway through, or until broccoli starts to char slightly.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cook rice noodles according to package.
- Additionally, in medium skillet add 2 Tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Add shrimp and sprinkle with kosher salt. Flip after 2-3 minutes.
- In each bowl, add desired amount of noodles, 4-5 shrimp, and about 1/2 cup of vegetables. Pour desired amount of sauce over and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting The Wooden Skillet!