Baked Creamy Corn Acorn Squash – a savory and delicious side dish the is dairy-free/vegan!
This post is sponsored by Califia Farms®, but the opinions are my own.
If you are racking your brain for a fun side dish to serve with Christmas dinner …look no further than these Baked Creamy Corn Acorn Squash !
True story I had just got done shooting these squash when my husband walked through the door. I was cleaning up my photo shoot and kind of eating one of the squash. He asked if they were free-game now that I was done – I said “yes” – and he proceeded to eat two of these squash within minutes. They are that. good. He isn’t allergic to dairy (like me) and devoured these.
Bottom line – you don’t need to be allergic to dairy to enjoy these!!!
And they are really so simple to make! I will definitely be making these again this holiday season!!!
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and with seeds removed
- olive oil
- ½ cup coconut milk (use immersion blender to fully combine before use)
- ¼ cup Califia unsweetened almond milk
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme (additional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Rub olive oil over open halves of squash.
- Place face up on parchment-lined cookie sheet (cut off part of the bottom to allow them to lay flat if necessary)
- Place squash in oven for 45 minutes.
- While squash is cooking take coconut milk, salt, and Califia unsweetened almond milk and combine in small bowl, set aside.
- In skillet, drizzle some olive oil (about a Tablespoon or two) and turn heat to medium.
- Add shallots and allow to cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add corn and thyme and continue cooking on medium for 2-3 minutes, set aside.
- When squash comes out of the oven you should be able to piece with a fork, if not put back into the oven for 10 additional minutes.
- If squash is tender, fill each squash with approx. ½ cup corn and ¼ of the almond milk mixture.
- Place back the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.