This easy Steak Fajita Bowl recipe is made with juicy, tender steak, easy fajita veggies, a delicious corn salsa, all served on cilantro lime rice and covered with all the fresh toppings (you have to try this cilantro lime sauce on top too)! Such a great option to meal prep for those busy weeknight dinners!
The Best Steak Fajita Bowl
This delicious steak fajita bowl recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy so many of our favorite things – marinated steak, cilantro lime rice, sautéed bell peppers and onions smothered in our homemade fajita seasoning – it is our Steak Fajitas recipe, but reimagined in a delicious bowl version!
We love serving this easy weeknight dinner because it can be meal prepped ahead of time and everyone in the family can assemble their own the way they want. Everyone might even like it better than Chipotle’s steak fajita bowls! We have always loved our Easy Burrito Bowls, but this amazing recipe is now a great addition to our weekly meal rotations!
Looking for some more Mexican inspired recipes? You should also try our Ultimate Mexican Stuffed Peppers!
What You Will Need
- corn salsa – our simple recipe for this homemade corn salsa is easy to make and brings so much flavor!
- flank steak – this is what we used but feel free to grab your favorite cut of steak from your local grocery story or butcher shop.
- steak fajita marinade – we absolutely love our homemade marinade recipe (also shown in the recipe card below) or you can skip the marinade too.
- fajita veggies – it only takes a few minutes to sauté the bell peppers and onions in some fajita seasoning.
- rice of choice – option to make a cilantro lime rice or add more veggies with a cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- cilantro lime sauce – this is an optional topping, but if you have an extra 5 minutes… it’s worth it!
- guacamole – we love this homemade version or grab a store-bought option.
- tomatoes or salsa – you can either chop up some fresh tomatoes or whip up the salsa!
- sour cream – option to grab dairy-free or just a regular sour cream.
- lime wedges – most things are better with a fresh squeeze of lime juice.
- fresh cilantro – always great for that light and refreshing flavor!
How To Make Steak Fajita Bowls
This homemade steak fajita bowl recipe can be broken down into a variety of parts that will all come together in a one bowl dinner that’s so good! First, start by making your rice of choice. You can make cilantro lime rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, or switch it up with some cauliflower rice.
Now, place all of your corn salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together.
Next, place all of the steak fajita marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Pour the marinade over your choice of steak, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, if you have the time.
What Kind Of Steak Is Used For Fajitas
For this recipe we used flank steak, but feel free to use your favorite cut of meat. We also like using a sirloin steak, skirt steak, or hanger steak. You just might have to adjust your cook times a bit depending on how thick they are. If you have a grill, we also highly recommend using it to cook up the flank steak. So much great flavor!
Bring a large skillet to a medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil, and cook the steak for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 130-135 degrees F (use a meat thermometer) for a medium-rare finish.
Add another drizzle of olive oil to the large cast-iron skillet, toss in the garlic, and then the peppers and onions to sauté for 10-15 minutes.
After your steak has rested for a few minutes, cut into thin strips and then into bite-sized chunks of steak that will be easy to toss in the bowl.
Finally, the best part…. time to assemble your delicious steak fajita bowl! Place the rice in first, add the steak, veggies, corn salsa, and then start adding all of your favorite toppings!
- cooking methods – in this recipe we showed how to prepare everything on the stove top in a cast iron skillet, but you could also easily use the grill! So simple to make grilled flank steak and wrap up the fajita veggies in some aluminum foil and toss that on the grill too!
- Whole30/Paleo – to make this Whole30/Paleo compliant you will want to use cauliflower rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice, omit the corn salsa & cilantro lime sauce, and make sure your sour cream is dairy-free!
- toppings – we have listed so many great topping options below but if you are looking for more ideas you could add some sliced jalapeños, a mango pineapple salsa, black beans, or even a little bit of refried beans.
- storage – we recommend storing all the pieces of this dish (steak, veggies, rice, etc.) in separate containers to make reheating easier. This can easily be made over the weekend and placed in lunch containers for the week. Keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Steak Fajita Bowl – an absolutely delicious steak fajita rice bowl that is kid-friendly and packed with flavor! Great for meal prep!
- 12oz corn (grilled, boiled or frozen)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (more if desired)
- 1–2 jalapeños, diced (remove seeds and white membrane)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1.5 pound flank steak*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1–2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2–3 tablespoons chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, orange), sliced
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- additional kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Other Fajita Toppings and Serving Suggestions:
- Make Corn Salsa: Add ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Taste and add any additional salt, cilantro or lime juice. (If you want to take this recipe to the next level and make some Cilantro Lime Sauce .. now would be the time to prep that ahead and stick it in the fridge – find the recipe HERE!)
- Prepare Steak: Pat steak dry with clean paper towels. Season lightly with salt and pepper – pressing the salt and pepper into the meat. Place steak in a large reusable silicone bag or glass baking dish and set aside.
- Marinate Steak: Add olive oil, fresh lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, cumin, garlic, soy sauce, kosher salt and fresh cilantro (if using) into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour the marinade over the steak, ensuring it is fully coated. Seal and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
- Cook Steak: Bring a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a oil, swirl to coat the pan. Remove flank steak from marinade letting excess marinade drip off the steak; discard marinade. Place steak in the pan and sear 4-5 minutes per side and then 1-2 minutes per side until the internal temperature towards the thickest part of the steak reaches 130-135 degrees F. for a medium-rare finish (use an internal meat thermometer for accuracy) – during the cooking process turn down the heat, as-needed, if your skillet really gets hot and/or add a little extra oil if the pan is dry – to avoid burning. Remove from skillet and place on a cutting board to rest 10 minutes while you cook the veggies.
- Cook Veggies: Keeping pan at medium-high heat add 2-3 tablespoons of chicken broth to deglaze the pan – use a spatula to scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add garlic and move around pan until it becomes fragrant, approx. 1 minute. Add onion, bell peppers and the fajita seasoning. Stir to combine. Add additional broth or olive oil to pan if you feel it is getting a bit dry.
- Finish Veggies: Sauté for approx. 10-15 minutes or until the peppers have reached your desired doneness (cook shorter for a more firm, but tender pepper – longer for a softer pepper). Taste and add any additional salt or pepper, to taste.
- Serve: Slice the steak against the grain into thin slices. In each bowl add some cilantro lime rice, steak, fajita veggies, corn salsa, guacamole, sour cream (or cilantro lime sauce), fresh cilantro, tomatoes and fresh lime wedges.
- Steak Options: if you don’t want to use flank steak – sirloin, skirt or hanger steak could also be used – just adjust cook time and temp as-needed.
- Meal Prep: a great option for meal prep! Just make the corn salsa, cook the steak, sauté the fajita veggies and store them all separately. Reheat and assemble when ready to eat!
- Storage: place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. We recommend storing the various parts in separate containers to make reheating easier.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 9.3 g
- Sodium: 537.2 mg
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Protein: 28.1 g
- Cholesterol: 68.1 mg
Keywords: steak fajita bowl