Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes – the ultimate yukon gold mashed potato recipe! Perfect side dish for a pork roast and some gravy!
Ultimate Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes 101
Mashed potatoes are a staple in our house any time that we are making any type of roast and these are SO GOOD!! They have the best creamy texture and are packed with so much great flavor. This is comfort food at its best and the whole family is going to love them! Perfect for that next family dinner or holiday meal!
What You Will Need
- yukon gold potatoes – simply the best type of potato for making mashed potatoes!
- garlic powder, kosher salt, & pepper – essential seasonings that bring some great flavor.
- unsweetened almond milk – feel free to use almond milk or regular milk.
- butter – an absolute MUST when making mashed potatoes!
- plain Greek yogurt & sour cream – these provide a great creamy texture.
- ranch dressing – also adds to the creamy texture plus some great added flavor.
Why Are Yukon Gold Potatoes Best For Mashed Potatoes
Yukon Gold potatoes have a higher starch and low water content which makes them a great option for mashing and they really do have the best flavor! Plus, you don’t really need to peel them because the skin on them is so thin that they are easy to mash and you don’t have a thicker, grittier skin getting in the way.
Do Yukon Gold Potatoes Need To Be Peeled For Mashed Potatoes
No, this is completely up to you! Leaving the skin on does provide more texture to the mashed potatoes but their skin is so thin that you don’t really notice it. It’s really a personal preference but you do not have to.
How To Make These Potatoes Dairy Free
If dairy is a concern for you there are some simple changes that can be made to make this recipe dairy free. Simply substitute the butter with a plant-based butter, the Greek yogurt with a plan dairy-free yogurt, and use dairy-free sour cream & ranch dressing.
How To Make The Ultimate Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
Start by cutting your Yukon Gold potatoes into chunks.
Boil them for about 20 minutes, drain them, and place them in a large mixing bowl.
Add the rest of your ingredients.
Then use a hand masher or electric mixer to mix until they are smooth and creamy.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes – the ultimate Yukon gold mashed potato recipe! Perfect side dish for a roast and some gravy!
- Approx. 4lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add cut up potatoes (the smaller you cut them the shorter the boil time will be) to pot of boiling water.
- Let boil for 15-25 minutes or until they are very tender.
- Drain potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and let the butter melt/soften for a minute or two.
- Use a potato masher to mash everything together (alternatively you can use a hand mixer, if you prefer) until the consistency is smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt or other ingredients, as-desired.
- Serve with additional butter or gravy.
- Dairy-Free Substitutes: you can use plant-based butter instead of regular butter, plain dairy-free yogurt instead of Greek yogurt, dairy-free sour cream instead of regular sour cream and dairy-free ranch dressing instead of regular ranch.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up 3-5 days.
- Serving: we love serving these with our Ultimate Pork Roast Recipe + Pork Gravy + Garlic Green Beans!
Keywords: yukon gold mashed potatoes