Blackened Seasoning is such a versatile spice to have on hand! This blackened seasoning recipe is easy to make and you most likely already have the ingredients on hand!
Easy Blackened Seasoning
I love using this seasoning when I really want to pump up the flavor! The ingredients are simple and you most likely have them in your cupboard already. It is a versatile spice that is perfect on so many different proteins such as salmon, chicken, steak and shrimp and perfect no matter if you grilling, smoking or using your stove.
What You Will Need
- paprika: feel free to use a smoked paprika here if you want add even more depth to this spice.
- onion powder + garlic powder: these are classic flavors here and pair perfectly together.
- cayenne pepper + chipotle pepper: here is the spice! Use more cayenne pepper if you want to up that spice level even more.
- dried oregano leaves + dried thyme leaves: these are a bit more earthy and savory.
- kosher salt + ground black pepper: always gotta add a little salt and pepper!
What is Blackened Seasoning
Blackened seasoning is similar to a cajun seasoning – both are quite spicy and flavorful with a combination of savory and spice. That being said, the blackened seasoning isn’t quite as spicy as the cajun (although you do have control over that). Overall, it is a strong, flavorful spice!
How to Make Blackened Seasoning
Add ingredients to a small bowl.
Stir to combine.
Use in your favorite recipe!
We love this salmon recipe!
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Blackened Seasoning – a flavorful and delicious blackened seasoning recipe that is perfect for so many recipes!
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add ingredients to a small bowl; stir to combine.
- Use in your favorite recipe – we love this blackened salmon!
- Spice: if you want to up the spice level use another 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- Use: use it for salmon and other fish, chicken, shrimp or steak!
Keywords: blackened seasoning